charcoal going out when I put the lid on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frode

I have a 14 year old weber one touch. As you all know the build quality isexellent. My interest in grilling has grown over the last few years, but there is one problem that I am unable to figure out.

I mostly use the weber for direct grilling. I use one full chimney starter and spread the coal evenly in the grill. My problem is that when I put the lid on the temperature starts to drop, and the meat does not cook right. It looks like there is not enough oxygen to keep the fire going. When I remove the lid the temperature starts to go up, but then it starts to flame up and the meat gets burnt.

I grill with both wents fully open. What can be causing this problem?

Have you actually put a thermomter to see what the temp goes down to when you put the lid on? It will stay a little lower when you cover it...and naturally keep the flames from flaring up. You put the charcoal in the grill already started right?
I have to assume your vents on the bottom are clean and free of ashes? I can't say I've ever had a problem with the grill holding a good temp once the charcoal is going.
Are you using fresh charcoal? Was your charcoal stored outside or exposed to very humid conditions that would cause it to absorb moisture?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Kolodziejski:
Have you actually put a thermomter to see what the temp goes down to when you put the lid on </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I have not checked what temperature it is actually holding. From experience I know that if I keep the lid on the temperature is not high enough to cook the meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Kolodziejski:
You put the charcoal in the grill already started right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is correct. I use a Weber chimney starter to get the coal going. Let it sit for about 15- 20 minutes so that the coal is hot before I put it in the grill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Kolodziejski:I have to assume your vents on the bottom are clean and free of ashes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always start with a clean grill, and I use the one touch to keep the vents open during the grilling.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Kolodziejski:Are you using fresh charcoal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have tried many different types of coal. Even Webers own (witch is expensive here in Norway). Same result when i put the lid on...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Kolodziejski: Was your charcoal stored outside or exposed to very humid conditions that would cause it to absorb moisture? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually store the charcoal in the garage. Same place as I store my firewood.

I found this post that describes having the lid partially open. Will try this tomorrow if the weather allows for grilling!

The temperature will always drop with the lid on because of less air getting to the coals. If the fire is going out completely than the bottom vents may be blocked somewhat. Try a little more unlit coal on top of the burning ones for a longer burn. Good luck. It could also be old or "bad" charcoal. Charcoal does not like to get damp.

Thank you for the inputs!

Could the amount of food on the grate effect airflow and temperature?

also make sure your top vent is all the way open and bottom is open all the way. you could also try leaving a small hole in the charcoal spread in the middle to let air flow

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frode:
Thank you for the inputs!

Could the amount of food on the grate effect airflow and temperature? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Frode
The more food on the grate, the longer it will take to get temps up higher once close the lid. I personally have never had a problem cooking and maintaining a good temp when my lid is closed. There have been plenty of times when I've had to close the bottom vent most of the way to keep the temps from getting outside the range I wanted too. I'm kinda at a loss of what else it could be.
Do you keep your charcoal on a concrete floor in the paper bag it comes it? If so, it could be absorbing moisture through the concrete floor...especially if your floor has no sealer on it.

I live in Houston, the home of humidity. It can't be that the charcoal is absorbing moisture otherwise I'd never be able to cook on my kettle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay Bradford:
you could also try leaving a small hole in the charcoal spread in the middle to let air flow </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will test this tomorrow! Thank you.

Do you keep your charcoal on a concrete floor in the paper bag it comes it? If so, it could be absorbing moisture through the concrete floor...especially if your floor has no sealer on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually keep it off the floor. Usually on top of my firewood.

I will try to experiment tomorrow, and pay extra attention to the bottom vents!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimH:
I live in Houston, the home of humidity. It can't be that the charcoal is absorbing moisture otherwise I'd never be able to cook on my kettle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you're charcoal just gets acclimated to the weather I guess. Round here, like Jeff, a bag of coal will wick up moisture if left on a crete slab.

Tim

That's where my charcoal sits, on concrete in the garage. Even the leftover charcoal in my kettle lights like normal, whether I light it in a chimney or with a weed burner. I think it's a vent problem. All vents need to be open.

Depends on the location Jim. Round here we deal with freeze/ thaw conditions. If I get a warm day in the middle of winter my slab will start to sweat and anything placed on the floor will get wet.

Tim

i may be wrong here.... man i may be really, really wrong, but still going to mention it....

does your grill have an ash catcher? the other day my temps were funny. i was checking everything and i realized that my ashes were super full... after i emptied it, it was back to normal.

Throw on a load of cold meat and it takes a little while to recover. Temp will drop inside. If your charcoal is dying, it sounds like lack of air. Fire must have heat, air and fuel to work.

Maybe your not using enough charcoal? Keep puting it on until it gets as hot as you want it. I can get the grill to 700 degrees if I put a ton of charcoal on there. Also I do know that if I completely cover the grate with food it will starve the fire from air and start to cool off. It always nice to have some open space on your cooking grate to allow air to flow.

Brian

Here is what I have experienced today:

1. I think I have to let the charcoal sit longer in the chimney starter.

2. Leave a gap in the charcoal to let the air through. I left an open spot on one side to allow for some indirect cooking.

3. Let the lid stay on longer. I usually check on the meat every 3- 4 minutes. After 8- 10 minutes the temperature seems to pick up, and the meat got a nice crisp surface.

Thanks to everyone who have been so nice to give me their tips. This is a learning experience fore me. Although I have been grilling fore many years, it's only recently that I have started to advance beyond hot dogs and burgers. Using the lid is also new territory for me.

When I want a hot fire I leave the lid off when I dump the charcoal. It will help the charcoal get fully lit and really hot. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back