Charcoal Consumption Question

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
The last time I did an overnight I tried something different. I used the MM to start the charcoal(really full ring)but waited until the temps at the grate got to about 215-220 before shutting the vents down. The temp went up about 5 degrees and held there for about 9-10 hours then they started to drop.Needed to add more charcoal to finish the cook. My question is did I burn up more of the charcoal getting to the 220 faster than if I would have shut it down at 200 and waited for the temps to rise to my wanted grate temp gradually? The first time I did an overnight I did exactly what the directions said to do on the MM and never had to add any charcoal for the whole cook

How much longer was the wait? K-Ford?

I'd bet you did use up a bit more charcoal, but not enough to seriously impact times.

What was the weather like? Why did you have to refill? What were your vent settings?

I used Duraflame charcoal.There was a light breeze and all the vents were set about 1/3. I did notice also that I had to refill the Brinkmann pan with water which I didn't have to do the first time I did it.

Paul,

I'm no expert on this, but I experienced the same thing on my last overnight. Not only had to add charcoal, but had to add water to the large Brinkman pan twice. Two quarts each time, and when I pulled the meat it was bone dry again (the water pan, that is. The meat was fine
icon_wink.gif
)

After pondering this for a few days, and rechecking my notes, I came to the conclusion that it was simply due to the fact that it was COLD outside. Had to keep a hotter fire (more fuel) going to keep the cooker temps up. A hotter fire only a few inches from the water pan makes it boil harder, thus the need for refills.

My experience was a couple weeks ago, when the outdoor temp dipped to 30 degrees. You don't live to far away. Could this be what was happening to you?

JimT

Buy either the hot water heater wrap, or the Guru cover, and your savings in fuel consumption will pay for that wrap in no time. The Guru cover will take a little longer, but should last longer also.
icon_wink.gif

Bob, if you use the water heater blanket do you still need to have a wind screen of some kind?

No, I don't. Works fine without it. Had mine Qing in minus 7 with a wind. Others have done it colder with good results. I use one from Home Depot that has the foil on both sides. I'm looking at getting the Guru one this year.

Bob, I can see the definite advantage of using the blanket over the screen .Dumb questions, do you pull the blanket up to adjust your bottom vents then pull it back down??? If you do that wont it knock the setting out of whack? I don't see how you get air flow without cutting holes in the bottom where the vents are.

Back