Charcoal Ash on Food

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just got my Weber, my first cook was beer can chicken, a 10 pounder. The problem that I had is when I added charcoal I stirred up alot of ash, that eventually settled on the chicken. Pulled the skin off, along with the ash, and everything tasted great. Saw one member who removed the upper part of the cooker, added charcoal, then replaced cooker. Is there an easier way to add fuel without all the ash ?
Thanks, great forum for us newbies !

I agree that adding fuel for chicken seems a little odd to me, but I have had to add fuel on occasion, usually when doing butts or brisket. I'll light half a chimney of coals and when they are ready, I'll use a pair of tongs and move them one-by-one into the charcoal chamber. It takes a little time, but it works. I suppose you could lift off the center section, add the fuel, wait a few seconds for the ash to blow off, then replace the center section. But you risk splashing water around if you use it.

David

Was it really a 10lb chicken - that's a big one !IMO moving the center section to add fuel during a cook is inherently dangerous. I don't do it.

If you use the Standard method as described on this site you won't have a problem with not enough fuel.

Personally, I think the beer-can chicken is over rated. I prefer the butterflied version cooked low and slow. It's true you don't have crisp skin, but I discard it anyway. Why not give the arteries a break ? The skin is loaded with fat. If you want crisp skin you'll need to use the higher temp method which is also described on this site.

Good luck - IMO chicken is a great dish on the WSM.

PRG

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul G.:
[qb] IMO moving the center section to add fuel during a cook is inherently dangerous. I don't do it.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Several related cautionary tales.

Yes it was a 10 pounder ! The flavor was great, and I normally would remove the skin after cooking anyway. It's was just disappointing to lift the lid of the cooker and see a GRAY bird. I'm taking it all in stride, as this was my first cook, and certainly won't be my last. Just thought that a chicken would be a good start, not complicated and no big deal if the thing got ruined. BTW needed a Fosters for the beer can a regular 12 oz wasn't quite "fitting".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back