Charbroil H20 Smoker, need operating guidance

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I just borrowed this smoker (i know you guys don't like non webers, which i understand) and needs some help learning how to use it. My separate post talks about smoking a 6 lb bone in wild hog ham, which is what i want to cook tomorrow.

I presume the coals go on the very bottom in the larger bowl. Next, the water bowl, then I have two racks and two settings. One at the very top of the smoker, the other a few inches down. Why do i have two racks? Which level should i put the ham on? How much water do i put in the bowl? How much charcoal do i need and how long will it take. The temp gauge says "ideal", but i don't know how hot ideal is. What temps should i be maintaining at the grate?

thx for the help

I had a CharBroil smoker. The best operating advice I can provide it to put it on the curb, as I did.

Don't mean to discourage you, just telling it like it is. See the comments at this site:
Amazon review

I did manage to get some decent Q from the CharBroil, but only after mods (drilled firepan, drilled hood, raised grate, thermo install) and babysitting (every 20-30 minutes).

If you proceed, put the ham on the top rack. The "temp gauge" is worthless, better to trust your gut. Fill the water bowl halfway, you'll have a hard time keeping temps up anyway. Be prepared to use a full bag of charcoal.

Good luck, you will need it.

Back