Char Griller Akron Hinge

DBlack

Hey everyone just got a 18.5 wsm the other day and I want to put a hinge on it. Has anyone put on a Akron Hinge 14$ compared to unknown’s price of $50. Just looking for some advice for a new WSM owner. Thanks Dave.

RyanS_MN

TVWBB Member
Side note I found a few YouTube videos of people who had to notch either the WSM or hinge to get it to fit. I ordered it anyway but I’m gonna see if I can think of anyway that doesn’t involve doing either

timothy

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Side note I found a few YouTube videos of people who had to notch either the WSM or hinge to get it to fit. I ordered it anyway but I’m gonna see if I can think of anyway that doesn’t involve doing either
If you look at the OP's second pic, he used washers as shims to bump out the hinge for clearance.(y)

Tim

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I’m not using it on my WSM but on a kettle, and when I need to give it a good cleaning the “Unknown” is a breeze to remove and replace when cleaning and it allows the ability to use a rotisserie very handily! It might cost a little more but, it’s a clever design. Put me in the “Unknown” camp for certain!

A Cleland

TVWBB Super Fan
I acquired an Acorn Char Griller in the purchase of a Red Weber Gas grill that I am restoring. The hinge was all askew and mangled on the Akorn. I disassembled the Akorn, purchased a new hinge, and made the repairs to it. While I had the hinge in my hand, I looked at using one on my WSM 22.5. The Akorn hinge seemed to me to be very flimsy, and not designed for the radius of the WSM. I decided that I didn't want to risk the lid to my WSM on that piece. Could it work? Probably. Would it hold up? Possibly. I wasn't willing to risk it. BTW, I sold the Akorn for more than I paid for the 2 units, so I am restoring a Red Weber gasser that I now own with zero out of pocket........LOL. Just my 2 cents on that hinge.