cGA Combo Cook

Dave Ontario

Tonight I barbecued mixed nuts, jumbo shrimp, and salmon using the charcoal Go Anywhere. I used 22 briquettes for about 80 minutes total cook time.

I posted the smoked mixed nuts recipe here: https://tvwbb.com/threads/hickory-smoked-nuts.84005/
The sauces for the shrimp and salmon are included below at the end.

Why a combo cook? One of the things I love about the charcoal Go Anywhere is how fuel efficient it is. But it's always fun to push a little further.
I figured if I'm firing up the charcoal anyway this weekend, I'd try for a combo cook to make the most of it.

The charcoal Go Anywhere manual says to use 16 briquettes or 8 per side for indirect heat. I fired up 18 Royal Oak Ridge briquettes ( a couple extra) since it was cold weather at 4c / 40f. Once I had 18 briquettes fully ashed over in the chimney I set them to one side and set the cast iron pan of nuts on the other side.
The BBQ thermometer read about 350f over the indirect heat while roasting the nuts.

After 25 minutes of smoking the nuts, I removed them and set the frozen salmon portions over the drip pan.
I set out half the frozen shrimp directly over the coals.

After the shrimp and salmon had thawed I sauced them up with a basting brush. (Sauce recipes are at the end)
When the shrimp looked nicely grilled directly over the coals flipped them and based the other side.

When the first batch of shrimp was ready to be served, I'd been cooking over the coals about 40 minutes already, so I added four more briquettes to boost the BBQ temp back up to 250f.

I based and flipped the second batch of shrimp. After they were ready to serve I moved the salmon directly over the hot coals and gave it another basting of sauce.

We enjoyed the smoked nuts and first set of shrimp as an appetizer with some Pinot. Later I served up the second batch of shrimp and the salmon as the main course with some oven roasted vegetables my wife had made: carrots, brussels sprouts, cauliflower.

All together it was a very leisurely weekend evening cook out with no set schedule and no rush so it was enjoyable even though it took some time. At only 4c outside it's harder to get a sense of how how the food is on the grill. I was surprised at how hot the shrimp was when brought inside to serve at the table.

The family really liked the smokey flavor in all the dishes. And even though it took a while to cook everything it was some of the tastiest food I've ever made, better than most restaurants I've been to!

Sauce recipes:

BBQ Shrimp:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp / 1 clove chopped garlic
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
cracked pepper to taste
1 lb frozen cooked jumbo shrimp

Smoked salmon
1 tbs soy sauce