Certified Organic Beef With A "Select" Grading

Nate C

TVWBB Fan
Here in my area, we have a meat shop that grows their own cattle and butchers them on site. They are a "Certified Organic Beef" store and when I called the store today to find out some prices, found out their beef has been graded overall "select" with a "slight" grade in marbling due to their beef being so lean. Their "physiological" grade is Category A since their beef is brought to market at 18 months.

I have been taught that "select" is not a desirable grade in beef and that "marbling" is something to be sought after since it adds to the flavor of the steak and assists with tenderness. Yet this company has received rave reviews on their beef, been in business locally for over 60 years, and charges quite a bit per pound for their beef (over $15.00 for rib eye).

Are the rules thrown out when it comes to organically grown beef or should I approach with the same conventional wisdom as store bought beef?

If you're referring to the beef grades, no the rules are not thrown out; those still apply. Certified organic refers to the production method which covers the raising of the cattle. Everything that goes into the cattle such as food and medicine must meet specific standards (no hormones and pesticides, etc.). Even the living conditions must meet specific criteria. Got a few minutes, go here to read about the USDA standards for organic beef.

Perhaps what the butcher carried was 'grass fed' organic beef. Grass fed cattle will always be leaner than cattle fed grain before they go to slaughter. The grain adds a lot of fat to cattle. By grass fed I mean 100% grass fed; no grain ever. The flavor is different because of the lack of fat most Americans are accustomed to.

I do not buy grass fed beef. But I would assume that it will be difficult to find 'prime' or even 'choice' grades of certified organic beef. That most likely is because the grading of beef is voluntary and in the case of organic beef, the rancher is concentrating on maintaining the organic rating not a grade of prime or choice. From what I've read, most organic beef is leaner than conventionally raised beef because it is almost exclusively fed grass, thus it is harder to achieve the choice or prime grading.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
If you're referring to the beef grades, no the rules are not thrown out; those still apply. Certified organic refers to the production method which covers the raising of the cattle. Everything that goes into the cattle such as food and medicine must meet specific standards (no hormones and pesticides, etc.). Even the living conditions must meet specific criteria. Got a few minutes, go here to read about the USDA standards for organic beef.

Perhaps what the butcher carried was 'grass fed' organic beef. Grass fed cattle will always be leaner than cattle fed grain before they go to slaughter. The grain adds a lot of fat to cattle. By grass fed I mean 100% grass fed; no grain ever. The flavor is different because of the lack of fat most Americans are accustomed to.

I do not buy grass fed beef. But I would assume that it will be difficult to find 'prime' or even 'choice' grades of certified organic beef. That most likely is because the grading of beef is voluntary and in the case of organic beef, the rancher is concentrating on maintaining the organic rating not a grade of prime or choice. From what I've read, most organic beef is leaner than conventionally raised beef because it is almost exclusively fed grass, thus it is harder to achieve the choice or prime grading.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, these are 100% grass fed cows and per the company, leaner therefore the inferior grade.
Sounds like what you make in lack of hormones, etc., you sacrifice in taste and tenderness.

Fair assessment?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nate C:
Yes, these are 100% grass fed cows and per the company, leaner therefore the inferior grade.
Sounds like what you make in lack of hormones, etc., you sacrifice in taste and tenderness.

Fair assessment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not necessarily. Taste of 100% grass fed is different, but not inferior. I have grown to like it quite a bit. Tenderness is another matter. It rarely has the marbeling of grain-fed beef. It can still be quite tender, though. Good cooking technique is important.

The advantage of grass-fed is nutrition. The fat in grain-fed animals is quite different. Grass-fed is high in the omega-3 fats, the ones nutritionists want you to eat. But a nice piece of GF beef is a whole lot more appealing than salmon, in my book anyway.

Heart-healthy beef - one of the best kept nutrition secrets.

meat flavor is a combination of diet and age. Grass fed beef will have increased flavor because they are eating grass instead of grain, and grow slower on the lower calorie grass.

Although average age at slaughter is 12-18 months, so your grower is merely at the high end of the normal range.

Choice and Prime gradings are based primarily on marbling which only comes with grain. What you need to look for is a grower that has pasture raised cattle that are finished on grain. That way you get the best of both worlds.

What I find around me, are growers that are hung up on the 100% grass fed organic angle. My suspicion, is that they can sell at a higher mark up to dupes that are health nuts. It's easier to separate your beef from commodity beef at the nutrition level, and will instantly have an adoring fan base. I have a friend that keeps telling me I buy "cr*p meat," even when I buy from a grower that has pasture raised/grain finished beef. Its people like that, that these growers can cater to, and get the highest price.

from my perspective, it a genuine shame more growers are interested in producing the best beef they can. its either cheap or organic. Where's the great beef?

don't get me started about pigs.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Back