ceramic knife

While I don't personally own a Tojiro, they only sell high-quality knives at Korin. During my initial visit to their store, I felt like a kid walking into Disneyland for the first time. I've gotten atleast a half dozen knives from them (Misono, Nenohi, Brieto) and have tried a few others. They are all top-notch. A lot of them are pricey, but even their cheaper knives are better than the expensive German knives that are widely available. You can't go wrong with knives from Korin.

JP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">During my initial visit to their store, I felt like a kid walking into Disneyland for the first time. I've gotten atleast a half dozen knives from them (Misono, Nenohi, Brieto) and have tried a few others. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its on my list of places to visit in nyc. Its kind of off the beaten track, so we've not gotten there yet. We usually frequent the east and west village, soho, and lower east side, last time we even stayed downtown and it never seemed like we're in walking distance. Good to hear its worth the trip on the subway.

I'm in the market for another chef knife, I was thinking of going with another tojiro. Can you (J Pan) recommend something to check out if I ever do make it there.

J.B., sorry for the late reply. If you like high-quality knives then Korin is DEFINITELY worth a visit. It's just about 4 blocks from the City Hall stop on the "R" train.

The first "quality" knife I got was a Misono "Handmade" 7" Santoku for about $70. This is from the cheapest line of Misono but it continues to serve me well. I've had it for about 6-7 years now. My 5" Petty knife is from Brieto. It was the only petty knife with a handle big enough to keep my hands from bumping into the heel of the knife. Some people love the look of the metal handle, I don't particularly like it. It stays and is easy to keep sharp and feels good in my hand; so function over form for me on this one. For a slicer, I have the black-handled 9" Nenox. Nice handle and balance, real thin and sharp blade. Pricey though (over $200) and I wish I had gotten the longer one.

When I wanted to get Western style chef's knife I narrowed it down to three: Nenox black-handle, Misono UX-10 and the Glestain. Although the Nenox was the most expensive of the three, the people at Korin advised me that the other two were superior knives. It was a coin toss and I went with the UX-10 thinking that since the lowest line of Misono had already given me two years of great service then I can expect even more from their top line.

I will cut this novel short and not bore you with my other knives. I have tried all 4 lines of Misonos and they are excellent knives. All but the UX-10 I would consider affordable(under $200). It is just like getting a Weber, you pay upfront for a superior product that will last you years if well taken care of. I would highly recommend the Glestain as well. Others on my list would include the Nenox black-handle, and the Suisin Special. On the more affordable side check out the Suisin Inox, Brieto and the "handmade" and 440 lines from Misono. At the end of the day though it's mostly a matter of what you're comfortable with--in your hand and on the pocket. They will let you try them out at Korin before purchase. And if you're not comfortable sharpening them yourself, they offer a mail-in sharpening service for knives purchased from them. They do give 10% discount to people in the restaurant industry. They just ask where you work. I'm pretty sure they'll give it to you. Hope this long post helps.

JP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">J.B., sorry for the late reply. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

great info, much appreciated.

at this point I'm just as focused on the handles as I am with the blades. I noticed my hand tires and gets cramped when I work with our global knives, the handles seem really thin. Next time I'm in nyc I'll be sure to test drive a few of your recommendations. thanks again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">J.B., sorry for the late reply. If you like high-quality knives then Korin is DEFINITELY worth a visit. It's just about 4 blocks from the City Hall stop on the "R" train. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

we finally got there this weekend...man that place is sweet. we went to their website the night before our planned visit and discovered that everything is now 15% off! we had already planned on getting another tojiro but this opened up our wallets somewhat.

we ended up getting the small breito nakiri (veg slicer) and after trying out three 9.4" gyutou (tojiro, misuno 440, togiharu inox) the sales person encouraged us to go with the togiharu which she thought was the best of the three.

I'm a bit concerned that both blades have 70/30 edges. I figure if I cant find somebody around here that can sharpen them I could always take them to korin (since I go to nyc a few times a year) and have them mail them back to me.

i had picked up the harbor freight ceramic chef's knife for $20. the wife finally started using it, and loves it. i picked up another with a 20% off coupon for a x-mas gift.

thanks op

Wow! great information as always! I had one of those 20% off coupons in my email so I pickedd up one of those HF ceramic knives today, just a small paring knife to try out, but got one each for my two sisters as well! Always wanted to try one but not expensive, so this is a perfect trial.

Back