Caveman steaks - what's the point???

Mmmm...Brooklyn Ale and steak - one of my favorite meals!
icon_wink.gif

This didn't go quite as planned. First of all I forgot to make some incisions on the fatty edge of the t-bone, causing it to curl up on me. Secondly, I think I got too impatient or used too little coal, because I ended up with a medium to well-done steak when I really wanted medium rare. One thing that was successful though, was the taste. Like someone in here said, I could "taste the fire" which was real nice.

Here are some shots of the process:
http://bbqviking.com/2012/06/1...y-ii-2/web_img_7183/
http://bbqviking.com/2012/06/1...y-ii-2/web_img_7186/
http://bbqviking.com/2012/06/1...y-ii-2/web_img_7188/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think I got too impatient or used too little coal, because I ended up with a medium to well-done steak when I really wanted medium rare. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say that you were too patient, since if the meat is too well-done, it spent too much time on the coals.
icon_wink.gif

I didn't explain it properly. I should've waited for the coals to get hotter, giving me more heat, shorter sear time and a medium rare steak. So, wrong kind of impatience....

This has been a very interesting discussion and I've learned a LOT about the caveman technique. Can't wait to try it. But I gotta tell ya, this has also been the funniest collection of posts I've ever read! I get a new chuckle everytime I look at it. Scott, you almost killed me with this one: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've done it many times and not only did I like the results but so did my wife who saw me throwing them on the coals. She freaked at first unilt I got a peice of steak in her mouth and rubbed her throat like you have to do to the dog when giving meds (just kidding, she'd kick my @ss). </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Still laughin' at that one! Let's just say I understand...
icon_wink.gif

I really want to try this now, after seeing the pics and hearing about the results.

To get a medium-rare ribeye (say an inch or so thick), how long should each side stay on the coals? Planning on using lump.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JamesH:
I'll have to try this next time I go camping. How important is the blow dryer? Can I clean the coals enough by waving a plate back and forth? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure. I use a large piece of cardboard to fan my coals.

Ulf, you need the coals as hot as you can get them. No need to clip the fat, just trim it close. Also, you need a nice thick cut. 30-40mm thick will work best.

I must be the only guy in the world to think this is bat #### crazy. There's no way I'm doing this.

A simple mod is to light a chimney of lump. Set a grate right on top and cook your steak right on that. You will be about 1/8 inch or so from the fire without touching it.

Admit this is another technique altogether but thought it good to mention as a "compromise" to setting them directly on the coals. You will get the same sear, flavor IMHO.

I like to do this with filet "medallions".

On the coals is definitely a bigger "wow" factor though
icon_smile.gif

I have done the caveman style with t-bone and rib eye and it came out great. Always use lump and you'll be fine. I did brush lightly but I don't think it was necessary. I found that as long as I turned as the juices started to appear on the one side they came out great.

I typically do minimum 1 inch thick steaks on the grill though. Approximately 4 minutes to the side usually provides medium rare. Go by feel though. You can always place them back on if you need more well done.

I just posted my experience with caveman steaks in the photo gallery. I appreciate the method, but I think I'll stick with how I've been cooking them.

Originally posted by CullenJ:
I just posted my experience with caveman steaks in the photo gallery. I appreciate the method, but I think I'll stick with how I've been cooking them.

Same here. I like the other techniques as a fun thing to do, but in the end the standard works just fine for me.

Don't knock it till you try it. Had my butcher cut me a couple of well marbled Rib Eyes 1 3/4 inches. Seasoned the steak with a little Montreal Steak Spice and Kosher Salt. Let sit a room temp. while I prepared a nice white bed of lump (No Briquettes). Fanned the ashes off the lump, slapped the steaks directly on for two and a half minutes on each side. Let the steaks sit for about five minutes after grilling. There's definitely a charred flavor imparted to the steaks. Mmmmm Perfection!

I just got a new cookbook, Charred and Scruffed, and it has a big section on cooking directly on the coals. Alton Brown even did it in his Fajita episode. I personally haven't tried it yet, but I would like to. I need to get some lump though as all I have is briquettes.

A simple mod is to light a chimney of lump. Set a grate right on top and cook your steak right on that. You will be about 1/8 inch or so from the fire without touching it.

Yet another method, is UNDER the chimney!

The restaurant I worked in, used a Salamander Grill. This duplicates it, providing a wonderful crust and letting you finish cookinmg by traditional means. This also, was featured in a steak episode with Alton. ;)

Set the grate down, put the steak on, and then place the Chimney over it. One to two minutes, and flip.
If you need it done more, standard cook it.

Last edited:
I tried this method a while back, and with my briquettes I got chunks of charcoal stuck on the meat. Gave for an odd cruch thats for sure.. Worked great but I don't think I will be doing it again just for my teeth's sake.. I found that I have been able to get the char I am looking for by just piling up the charcoal nearer to the grate.. But thats just this guys findings
icon_razz.gif

Jim K has it... you have to use a natural product. I've done with Royal Oak lump and oak that I burned down. Both had excellent results. We did two inch, 22oz bone in ribeyes on the RO. Literally 1:30 - flip - 1:30 - Pull - rest - eat. Came out perfectly what I refer to as rare +... just a tad less cooked the standard medium-rare.

Back