Catfish courtbouillion in a WSM?

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
I've got it in my head that I want to do a nice big succulent old-fashioned catfish courtbouillion in a cast iron pot over coals, as it should be done. Now, seein' as I don't have a proper tripod upon which to hang said cast iron pot, reckon a good courtbouillion could be done in the WSM? Has anyone ever tried it?

This is the one that I plan to follow:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/seafood/courtbouillion.html

Suggestions are welcome, particularly from the Louisiana contingent.

Keri C

I have only made it directly on coals--not many of course--but I wiuld think the cooker would be great (and need less attending). I have only used speckled perch (aka crappie), fresh tomatoes (peeled and diced), no water and no flour; a thyme sprig in the bottom of the pot. Slow cook, covered for a while, then lid ajar so that the liquid reduces. Don't stir, just reduce gently. A little drizzle of really good unsalted butter at finish, ladled over rice in a soup plate.

Have fun with it.

Hey Keri,

That was a fantastic read. I had never heard of courtbouillion before. This sounds like an outstanding dish for a competition Friday night. Please let us know how it goes.

As for the fish, I realize in the article they belabor the fact you can't use farm raised catfish. But you think it would be that bad, especially if you've never had it before anyway?

I'm probably not a good one to ask, seeing as how I'll probably use the farm-raised catfish from my local supermarket for my version.

Of course, though, I eat farm-raised salmon, so that's just extra proof that my tastebuds aren't as sophisticated as some of ya'll's are.
icon_wink.gif

And you're right - that DOES sound interesting as a Friday night dish. We did a turkey-fryer pot full of gumbo for one particular comp last year and fed the whole blasted place, I think - this just might be the thing to do instead! Thanks for the idea! I have a little 5-quart cast iron pot that I'll probably try my initial run in so that I'm not making enough to feed the whole neighborhood, just in case it goes south...

On edit, now I think of it, I DO have a coupla big packages of crappie in the freezer courtesy of my BIL - I may try that instead of the nasty ol' store-bought catfish.

Wild-caught catfish may be more authentic, but most people I know like to prepare the dish using redfish. I know that's not an option for many, though. In any case, you can still sound authentic by pronouncing as they do "down da bayou", and anywhere around here, for that matter: "COO-be-yawn".

Lawdy, does that sound good!

I love most any fish, and I was reading the article I found myself fantisizing about camping with our friends and me trying to say in my best drawl "Tonight we have da coo-be-yawn."
icon_smile.gif

Keri, could you post a summary in the recipie section?

JimT

You got it - summary added HERE, along with the link to Chuck Taggert's page with the entire procedure and writeup. If you've never explored Chuck Tagger's Gumbo Pages, you're missing some kinda GREAT recipe collection.

I... uh... just happen to have all his recipes transcribed into Mastercook...
icon_biggrin.gif

kc

we had a potluck cajun feast at late season comp last year, man was it good. Gumbo, jambalya, bean n rice, everything was great. This would be a perfect addition to the list.

Heck I might even try this in Carmel in a couple of weeks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had never heard of courtbouillion before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Often written as two words (court bouillon) it is found all over Cajun country. Tomato sauce is the common addition (sometimes canned tomatoes; you'll see tomato paste sometimes--not recommended); use the best quality you can find (there is nothing to be gained in flavor or 'authenticity' by using cheap stuff); dry thyme is more common than not, as is a small bay leaf or two (I think one preferable) but this depends on where you are and who's cooking. I've had redfish versions but never made one--they are excellent.

Court bouillon (or court-bouillon) derives its name from the classic French treatment for fish and other seafoods. Court bouillon or 'short boil' is the name given to a flavored acidulated water mixture that is simmered for just long enough to extract flavors then strained. Water plus lemon juice and white wine, onion, celery leaves, a bay leaf, maybe a few peppercorns and parsley sprigs, maybe garlic, is often the mix; fish is poached in the strained liquid and served hot, with or without a little of the bouillon, or is undercooked in the bouillon but allowed to cool in the liquid (where it finishes cooking) and is then drained and chilled. The classic chilled poached salmon with watercress mayo is prepared this way.

I think court bouillon would be a great Friday night comp dish.

Have to chime in late as I was away from my computer for the last 4 days.
Keri,
Never done CC on the WSM but I do a pork roast in an iron pot on it. Mix chopped garlic,salt,black pepper,cayenne pepper,green onion and fresh/dry herbs of choice together. Put some slits in the roast and stuff them with the mixture. Put the roreast in the pot on a grate to keep it off the bottom. With the lid off,cook with enough smoke as you can stand for as long as you want at 250-275 deg. Put the lid on a nd take it to an internal of 180 or so(slicing temp). Use the wonderful drippings in the bottom to make killer gravy. Since it is normally just me and my wife,we eat this until we are tired of it. But it goes a lot of ways. Over rice,hot open-faced sandwiches,cold sandwivhes,hash,etc. The smoking makes it pretty ,too.

You know you are in South La. when there is Catfish Courtbouillon on the lunch buffet in the small towns like Welsh or Iowa.

I use fresh King Mackeral or AMberjack when I make my court-bouillion/cooobeyon!

It is one of my favorites, I think it is better with a sronger fish ala the king.

tt

Back