Catering Worksheet

Tony Hunter

TVWBB Pro
I downloaded an Excel catering worksheet from the internet and it is pretty good but I wanted one more customized to my needs and how I will be catering. Here is a link to where you can get it. Please give me your thoughts on how it can be made better. You can also customize it to fit your needs.

Tony

Catering Worksheet

Tony,

I can see that you have a valuable tool there.

In running a catering business, you are bound to have many other costs such as insurance, equipment, transportation, license fees, lease for kitchen, workman's comp, etc. It would get complicated to try and allocate a portion of these expenses to each job, but I think it would give you a better idea of just how much profit you have for each job. A quick and dirty way to do this would be to estimate what your monthly overhead costs are, and then to estimate what portion of your monthly income this job will represent.

For example, suppose you estimate that you have $3000 per month in overhead costs, and you estimate that this job is 1/20th of your monthly income. You would then multiply 3000 times .05 to get $150 as your overhead cost for this job.

I think small business owners tend to underestimate these things when they do their pricing, so I think it is really important to include in the equation. If you need help setting up the excel spreadsheet, don't hesitate to ask me.

Hi Tony,

I have no catering advice to offer ... but I wanted to say that I just looked at your web page. Congratulations on having the courage to make your dream a reality. Very inspiring.

I don't want to detract from this thread, but are you still competing?

I've been away from this forum for some time and was curious as to what you were up to.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Lohrentz:
Tony,

I can see that you have a valuable tool there.

In running a catering business, you are bound to have many other costs such as insurance, equipment, transportation, license fees, lease for kitchen, workman's comp, etc. It would get complicated to try and allocate a portion of these expenses to each job, but I think it would give you a better idea of just how much profit you have for each job. A quick and dirty way to do this would be to estimate what your monthly overhead costs are, and then to estimate what portion of your monthly income this job will represent.

For example, suppose you estimate that you have $3000 per month in overhead costs, and you estimate that this job is 1/20th of your monthly income. You would then multiply 3000 times .05 to get $150 as your overhead cost for this job.

I think small business owners tend to underestimate these things when they do their pricing, so I think it is really important to include in the equation. If you need help setting up the excel spreadsheet, don't hesitate to ask me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

Thanks alot for the advice and believe me it is well taken! I am new at this and am currently only doing small personal jobs; however, I plan for that to change dramatically as I move into becoming a 100% legally certified caterer in 2007. I am going to work the overhead items that you mentioned into the worksheet. Thanks again!

Tony

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dennis T.:
Hi Tony,

I have no catering advice to offer ... but I wanted to say that I just looked at your web page. Congratulations on having the courage to make your dream a reality. Very inspiring.

I don't want to detract from this thread, but are you still competing?

I've been away from this forum for some time and was curious as to what you were up to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Dennis!

Thanks for visiting my site! I post new things fairly regularly so drop by anytime.

I have been helping my friend Curt McAdams of Bucky McOinkums Barbecue Team. Our last comp was this past May here in Carmel, IN. Brisket did 11th place, but that was the only highlight of note.

I will be competing solo starting in August. I may do the Madison, IN RibberFest Contest or the Great Pacific comp in MO. I plan to do another comp or two in Sept and/or Oct.

Back