Catering questions

Michael Stella

TVWBB Member
A friend and I got a catering gig for this coming Monday. We need to feed about 100 people. We were thinking about doing some pork butts, some beef, and a sliced turkey breast for the healthy folks. For sides, we were thinking country style green beans, potato salad, and some sort of baked beans, plus sauce and buns.

As far as quantity of food, we are thinking about 2 - 2 1/4 gallon containers worth of each side.

For the pork and beef we were thinking net weight of 18 lbs each and two turkey breasts for slicing.

Are we in the right ball park here?

Thanks,
Michael

Sounds like you are close. The sides should be plenty. And the meats should hasve leftovers. I normally use 1/4 - 1/3 pound meat per person and it works out with leftovers. I include ziplocs and pack up leftovers to split with whoever is paying the bill.

My last one was 70 people and I done 2 butts, 9 slabs of ribs and 10 chickens and had plenty of leftovers for about 12 -14 people. Worked out great and they were happy.

Randy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Stella:
A friend and I got a catering gig for this coming Monday. We need to feed about 100 people. We were thinking about doing some pork butts, some beef, and a sliced turkey breast for the healthy folks. For sides, we were thinking country style green beans, potato salad, and some sort of baked beans, plus sauce and buns.

As far as quantity of food, we are thinking about 2 - 2 1/4 gallon containers worth of each side.

For the pork and beef we were thinking net weight of 18 lbs each and two turkey breasts for slicing.

Are we in the right ball park here?

Thanks,
Michael </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"What ya gonna cook for the unhealthy folks then?"

The 18 lbs pork and beef should give you 10 1/2 - 11 lbs pulled pork (leaving it a little fatty) and around 15 lbs of beef which is 26 lbs, allowing 1/3rd lb per person it will feed 78 on it's own, and at 1/4 lb 112 people. With sides and two turkey breasts you'll be able to feed extra if you need too and have doggie bags if you are spot on the 100.

I would carry an extra gallon of potato salad in the cooler, it is the one thing I find I sometimes run out of when estimating usage, so carrying extra is just my way of being ready to cover up my poor estimating. It works well though as if I don't feed it to the bbq friends, I feed it to the kids, and they all like it too.

Back