"Catering" gig

Donny Anderson

TVWBB Super Fan
My mom has asked me to cook a couple of butts for a social she is having. I'm thinking 2 8 pound butts for her party and of 8 and some leftover for me and the family. Is that overkill in thinking? I know, you can't have enough pulled pork, but she is paying for the food.
Also, would 2 8 lb. butts fit on the top grate or should I put one on each rack. I don't have any high tech temp read outs, so I think that both on top is to my benefit, if they'll fit.

IIRC normally your assume that butts give a 50% yield and that each peerson will eat 1/2 pound of meat, so ONE 8 pound butt should be fine - HOWEVER if we are talking about women of a certain age they will probably eat less so you have a safety factor with one butt.

If I were you, I would put both butts on the top shelf (they will fit easily) and charge MOM for only one.

Best of luck

Thanks, Rich. Based on your estimate, one 8 ought to do it. I think I'll probably up-size so I can grab the leftovers. Mom has enjoyed the "Mr. Brown" pulled pork and has been more than willing to pay for groceries.
And, yes, these are women of a certain age...
icon_wink.gif

The dinner was a success. I cooked WAY too much pork (there is a whole butt for leftovers!), but it was good. I served the pulled pork with Steve Petrone's No. 5 and Vinegar sauces (quite tasty) for some variety. Sides were Keri's hog-apple baked beans and a potato salad with bacon/mustard vinegariette (I forgot the post from here, but thanks for the recipe). This was a can't miss meal. MY THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS SITE! You make me look like a hero to my mom and dad, but everyone here deserves all the credit. I am having a blast with my WSM. Thanks again.
Donny

Back