Cast Iron question

Ed_Gannon

I'm thinking my next investment will be in some cast iron, just wondering what would be more useful to me, a skillet or a dutch oven, any advice or opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ed

Both! I have two 12-inch skillets, a 10", an 8", and a smaller dutch oven.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_s...alias=aps&linkId=2CV2RNF6ZCQ3WB77?tag=TVWB-20

Since you're just getting into it, this might be a good choice: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009JKG9M/tvwb-20

But check out these other skillets - get a 10 or 12-incher (or both)

Don't buy anything fancy to clean them, I just save old dish scrubbers for my cast iron whenever I get a new scrubber for everything else. It's really easy to care for and youtube etc has more info than you'll care to watch. Same as everything - people can over complicate it. Don't bother seasoning it - total waste of time IMO--- just use, clean, and oil - that's how I season my stuff.

I use a 10 inch skillet the most and I think is the most versatile. I have this set which I bought the pieces in it individually and use everything often. Nice thing too is the lid from the dutch oven also fits the skillet. I also have the chicken fryer Clint suggested. The cast iron dose come seasoned but I add a couple of more coats on before I use it.

I like old cast iron, check Goodwill places like that, old Wagner ware is nice Griswold or anything marked made in USA.

I got a nice Wagner number 3 at Goodwill for 4.00 the other day, estate sales are a good place to look also.

A dutch oven is basically an extra-deep skillet ;)

We use both our 10" skillet and 12" dutch oven all the time. I bought the DO when I was an active camper, so it's the type that has legs on bottom for campfire/charcoal cooking, but it still works tolerably well on the stovetop.

We never clean with anything other than a nylon brush. If something gets really cooked on, simmering a little water in it for 5 minutes does the trick.

And anyway, cast iron cookware works like sourdough bread... the little bit of leftover gunk works like a starter for whatever you cook in it next ;)

Thanks for the advice guys, I think it will be the skillet, as I've managed to lay my hands on an enamelled cast iron dutch oven, which will do for now.

Back