Cast Iron NB

Doug - response from the site mgr:

I did some programming changes and the ADMINS/MODS also did some changes and some boards were changed. I believe all the boards that should be viewed by those not registered can now be viewed, but let me know if that is not the case.

When you have a minute or two to have look, let me know if you still see the problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
When you have a minute or two to have look, let me know if you still see the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No change as of this writing.

2 hours later, it appears to be back as it was before, plus there's now a Cooking board visible that previously was not.

Good deal. Here's his message:

have him try again, I changed a few more settings. He should be able to see NEWS, General Information, Repros, Cooking sections

Looks like I got to his message late, it came in at 7:29 EST
icon_smile.gif

Glad to see it's fixed.

Repros forum was not previously visible, either. Some seller names I recognize there. Hope CR is happy with his new bargain Wagner Ware #2 p/n 1052; I asked seller about interior pitting, got an answer I thought was, um, "less than forthcoming", and ultimately passed on it. Oh, well... (Hey, now ask the admin to set the default board timezone to something actually on the North American continent.
icon_smile.gif
)

Everything in it's time Doug
icon_smile.gif
Chuck got that #2 at a good price. He posted detailed photos on the member side. It looks great, no pitting. Should clean up real nice. CR is an old hand and covers all the details with the seller before he buys.

BTW - CR is an avid collector and does a really good job prepping all of his stuff for use. Lye tanks and and an electro unit. He's close to me so I've had him restore all my pieces when I pick them up.

He sells off his "non keepers" excess inventory on Ebay or via personal mail. Very trustworthy guy to buy from if one is looking to find something. He'll even clean something up for you if you send it to him. Does it at a reasonable price.

The only reply I got to a very specific question about it was "I don't see any pitting." Perhaps I was just gun shy after getting a few pieces that "sat nice and flat here", if you know what I mean. Would have been a nice addition to my group of rescued and rehabilitated little pans.

IMAG0186.jpg

Nice. Sweet little set you got there. I have a lidded large logo HR Griswold #3 that I use fairly often. It's like the bottom row middle but with a heat ring and a lid.

Perfect size for two eggs and they toss pretty nice with it too. Nice for small quantities during prep etc. Like to use it on the grill for warming sauce, etc.

I don't collect as much as select pieces I want for use. I pretty much cook out of anything I own. Although folks that would look at the rack I keep everything on would probably assume I'm a collector
icon_smile.gif
I know my wife does
icon_biggrin.gif

Have you been collecting long?

Started accumulating pieces earlier last year. Prior to that, had only an old 3 notch Lodge #10 I inherited from somewhere unknown 30+ years ago that I use often. Picked these up between eBay and a couple of local flea markets. (No cast iron junkyard around here, that I know of.) Have some other pieces going up as far as #12. Using a lye bath and a little 10 amp electro tank for cleaning; EasyOff in a bag if they don't fit in the bath.

I am deathly afraid of buying used cookware, especially at a garage sale or fleamarket, because no telling what people used those containers for. Some people have used this hand-me-down stuff in their garage to melt lead or clean parts with strong chemical cleaners, etc. I know as I foolishly did this with some of my grandmother's cast iron before I knew any better. If I would do it I know some people nuttier than me would do it, and worse. Just saying...

I'm kinda confused about the Lodge, China ... no China thing. My two Lodges have bottom stamps, one a 5SK USA and the other a 8SK USA. I'm assuming they're US made. One other thing, why is an 8" skillet called a 5SK? Shouldn't it be an 8SK
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_smile.gif

Skillets and other cast iron like dutch ovens are traditionally size-numbered. A #3 averages 6.5 inches diameter (without pour spouts), a #5 about 8", and so on. It's not an absolute standard, but most foundries were within fractions of inches of eachother on their sizes. One manufacturer, Birmingham Stove & Range Co, was known for putting both the size number and the diameter on the bottom of their pieces-- but not their name.

I can understand your concern W-Stewart. But the concern about contaminants doesn't go away with new cast iron. The cast iron from China has been known to be made from used materials or scrap iron. From old engine blocks, etc. Any impurities would be considered in the iron itself. It's probably generally considered to be purified by the remelting process I suppose. But if lead or other toxic metals are present I would think it probably isn't.

Older cast iron was made from virgin materials it was also a finer casting/s and less porous so the experts say. It is evident by visual inspection. I don't classify myself as an expert, chemist, metallurgist though.

With used CI. If it was used for melting lead you can tell and it won't go away with cleaning methods. Even electrolysis. It would be like removing plating. You wouldn't be able to get it all out and you will also see it after seasoning especially.

Any thing else, solvents etc wouldn't penetrate into the metal itself. The process for cleaning by using a lye bath, or electrolysis and then seasoning at 400 degrees would most likely remove anything from the surface/pores.

Trying to cook with a piece of cast iron that has been used with solvents or cleaners like you mention would also smell/smoke like heck if you try to use it. It would also taint the food (it would taste awful) to the point you could tell right away.

I personally won't and don't cook in anything I by until it goes through that cleaning process mentioned above. And I cook in everything I own which is a fare number of pieces and I'm not dead yet
icon_cool.gif

Certainly trust your own concern and just buy new and leave it for the collectors
icon_smile.gif

Trust your own judgment of course and do what you think is safe. To each his own.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
I'm kinda confused about the Lodge, China ... no China thing. My two Lodges have bottom stamps, one a 5SK USA and the other a 8SK USA. I'm assuming they're US made. One other thing, why is an 8" skillet called a 5SK? Shouldn't it be an 8SK
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cast iron skillets and even some other implements designed for cooking were not sized based on their actual diameter as much as by the size of the "eye" in the stove.

These implements were designed for use on or in wood stoves initially. The size of the holes or eyes in the tops of the cook stoves had a numbering system applied to them that was universal. The skillets were made/sized to the same system so that they would fit into a whole or eye of that same specific size.

That's the numbering system still used by Lodge as far as I know and that's why a #5 is not 5".

New Lodge skillets are not made in China and Lodge does not use salvage for their ironware as far as I know.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Early cast iron skillets and even some other implements designed for cooking were not sized based on their own diameter as much as by the size of the "eye" in the stove. This numbering system prevailed even during the advent of new technology like gas and electric stoves. In fact the early gas stoves had burners that sat in a recess under an "eye" that had the same numbering system applied. The flat bottom pieces worked fine in/on any stove type.

These implements were designed for use on or in wood stoves initially. The size of the holes or eyes in the tops of the cook stoves had a numbering system applied to them that was universal. The skillets were made/sized to the same system so that they would fit into that whole.

That's the numbering system still used by Lodge as far as I know and that's why a #5 is not 5".

New Lodge skillets are not made in China and Lodge does not use salvage for their ironware as far as I know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a Smoker noon and CI Journeymen I can chime in with a few things I have learned along the way.

The lodge stuff is all that I have been exposed to. Fear of having a garage sale dutch oven full of chili crack on the stove made me lean towards new. China CI as mentioned earlier, I don't trust it further than I can throw it for fears of it metallurgical content.

So by process of elimination I turned to lodge. My first piece was actually a 12" skillet from the Cracker Barrel. Same Skillet just with their logo and it was $3cheaper than online and think of all the money I saved on shipping. I made sure to season the "preseasoned" skillet just to smooth it out, after 6 years it's pretty smooth. I think the preseasoning is a good insurance policy from the "whoops" that happen in cooking/transport/cleaning.

Be careful what you season with

Don't use Pam to coat it when you are done it will go rancid after a while.

I don't scour or use soap

I later purchased a lodge DO and have no regrets.

BTW the Skillet / DO combo makes some of the best chili and cornbread I've ever eaten. Just be sure to bake you chili in the oven, lid on...Low and Slow.

The only time I've known or heard of this happening was with any piece of CI that was already cracked or with Chinese CI that must have had impurities or air pockets (Paula Dean product).

Made large numbers of recipes in my vintage DO's (oval and round) as well as Gem Pans, skillets and chicken fryers. Never a concern.

Clean and season anything you buy used and look for cracks. They will show up after cleaning if you can't already see them.

Heat the piece up (new or old) first and do an inspection before actually cooking something in it. You have to do that to season it anyway.

I never take a used piece and cook in it straight away. Always clean/strip and re-season first.

By all means buy new Lodge if that's a preference though, nothing wrong with that!

I prefer the older stuff because it's lighter and finer castings, etc. And there's more variety of what you can get. Not to mention the "character" aspect like markings and lettering. And the fact that it's an antique you can actually use without it loosing any value. You can always strip it and bring it back.

Lodge makes good stuff. Their vintage hollow ware is cool too.

PAM is great for seasoning though. You can get a nice black coating with it. It takes the heat and carbonizes to a nice deep black. BTW PAM is nothing but refined Canola Oil.

Back