Cast Iron Cooking & The WSM

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi All-

Wondering if anyone uses their cast iron skillets in their WSM's. I love searing roasts in my skillet AND creating pan sauces from the fond in the skillet after my coooks....Is it ok to throw my skillet on the top grate? Will my meat still get the same smoke flavor? Any other tips from those who create sauces?

Thanks in Advance!

That's a fantastic idea!

I just got my WSM but definitely will give this a try since I'm going to do a standing rib roast soon. I imagine the pan would slightly shield the meat from the heat and smoke, but just slightly, and the cooking time might have to be increased but using a thermometer for internal temperature makes it easy.

Another thought is the fond (I love that word) and juices will also get the smoke flavor which will make an unusual sauce. Also the cast iron pan will act as a heat sink and help keep cooking temperatures stable. Finally, catching juices in the cast iron pan will make cleanup of the water pan a whole lot easier.

If it turns out you're the first to have this idea I nominate it to be named the "Moore Sauce Method."

Please document it if you give it a go, and I'll do the same and try to take pictures.

Mike.....

Dean has discussed this technique at length and has perfected it over time.

Do a search under the name Dean Torges member number 732 and you should find a nice long disertation....at least I hope so!

Did a search, read a few of Dean's posts, but didnt find any that addressed my questions above- smoking meat in cast iron and making sauces when finished from fond. I can't come up with any reasons why it wouldn't work, just hoping to tap some of the experts.

FYI I'm talking about roasts I would 1st pan sear in my skillet (turkey, chicken, beef, pork, etc.) and then just toss right on the top grate- in the skillet.

Don't know why it wouldn't work just great. I put my turkeys in disposable aluminium pans when I smoke 'em. The gravy made from the drippings/juice has a nice smoky quality.

Mike....

OK, I thought Dean had a nice discussion of pan searing some wild game and then smoking it. Hopefully he will chime in.

I too use a disposable pan when making a pot roast or standing rib roast. No reason you couldn't use a cast iron skillet to do the same thing.

Pot_Roast_finished.jpg

Stogie...what recipe do you use for your pot roast? Do you throw int the vegies at the beginning?
Thanks...loks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back