Cast Iron and Induction

D Livingston

TVWBB Fan
With one more hurdle to work through, it appears we are about to move to a new home. This home has a very nice induction cook top that I am looking forward to using. I have quite a few cast iron and stainless skillets, both of which will work on the induction cook top. But I mostly use the cast iron and only like the stainless for a few specific things. Our current cook top is a solid disk electric one that I don't really have to worry about with the heavy cast iron. I am, however, a little worried about scratching (and to a lesser extent, breaking) the cook top surface at the new house with the heavy and rough cast iron. Am I being paranoid, or is this something to consider? I have been wanting to get some carbon steel skillets (I already have a nice wok and crepe pan), and this would give me a good excuse. But I already have a fairly large number of skillets, and it seems silly to add more to it. I could maybe primarily use the cast iron on the grills and in the outdoor fireplace, and store them somewhere out of the kitchen.

Any advice/opinions from this intelligent group?

I've seen a video where an induction heater can cause a pan to warp due to uneven heating.. I don't know if it's true. It's more likely that the flat surface will show any flaws.

I've seen a video where an induction heater can cause a pan to warp due to uneven heating.. I don't know if it's true. It's more likely that the flat surface will show any flaws.
I doubt seriously that's true. However to the first question. I don't know what to tell you. I didn't realize those things were glass tops. How do restaurants get by with them. Talk about being hard on them

That's why I was kind of dubious about that claim but I just wanted to throw it out there. I bet that tempered glass is hard to scratch, though.

I would love to have a induction stove, its faster than gas I have read, I have a 110v single burner that I use a lot. not sure what the tops made of but would bet about the same material. I have 2 sets of coated pan sets that are rated for induction and 1 goes in the camper and 1 in the house. they make a plate to set on them so you can use none induction pans but I'm sure you would lose some heat/efficiency

Thanks for the opinions. I'm still debating, but think I might wait until we're in and settled a little before deciding, because we're already talking about some new furniture, some new tvs, an additional patio, etc.. So new pans should probably be down on the list.

Speaking of patio, I am really excited about that. The one there is a large, blue stone patio surrounded by a short brick retaining wall, with a fireplace and full brick chimney on the garage wall. The fireplace has a swiveling hook to hang my cast iron dutch oven, and a small brick wall on either side that I'm sure I can figure out how to put a grate on/in . I might end up using cast iron in that fireplace quite a bit. Add that to my Webers, and I'll be able to cook just about anything out there. Only thing missing would be a WSM (I currently use my Master Touch for smoking) and maybe a blackstone griddle.

Back