Carolina pulled pork Q?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I'm getting ready to do a Carolina pulled pork (pork front shoulders, boston butt, etc) on my WSM. I have done several of these in the past, but I have a question.

If you were doing an eight pound pork butt in your WSM, how long would you expect it to cook/smoke? I know there are several factors that control the amount of time, but I'm looking for a general time frame for this.

From what I have been reading, it would appear that the ones that I have done in the past have cooked too quickly.

Thanks,
Brendan

Bremdan, if you look at the top of the page, you can go tot he cooking section and learn everything you need to know.

Everything depends on the temp you cook at....low and slow is best. Other factors will determine the length of the cook...weather conditions, foil wrapping, etc. I've had butts go 14 hours and I've had some done in almost half the time. It's hard to nail it down to a precise time. Not all pigs are created equal. Some are leaner and will cook quicker.

The ones that I have done in the past have taken anywhere from six to nine hours. So I guess I was pretty much right on then.

Thanks,
Brendan
(o\_|_/o)

Brendan,

If I was cooking an 8lb pork butt, in excellent conditions regarding wind, temp, etc., using Minion Method, Kingsford charcoal, keeping top cooking grate temp at 225-235, I would expect that to take right around 12-14 hours.

I've never experienced an 8lb'er done in 6-9 hours, cooking low and slow.

Bremdan -- With the Guru working around 225 - 240, using the Minion Method, it usually takes me 16-22 hours to do 4 butts averaging 7 - 8 lbs.

Back