Cardog's Salmon

Mike MN

I had been wanting to try this one for a while and did it for Mother's Day yesterday. Wanted to see if I could pull it off with Costco Atlantic Salmon at 4.99/pound. It worked really well. I'm sure that a line-caught wild King Salmon would be better, but this was delicious. With just enough left over for fish tacos tonight.

I cut the recipe in half for the initial rub, as the piece of fish I was working with was a little less than 3 pounds and not as thick as the one in the cooking forum (link below.) Didn't want it to over-salt. I trimmed off the thin bits. The filet was skinless as well, which concerned me at first. I did not rub that side. Pretended it had skin on it.

After 2 hours I rinsed it and let it dry in the fridge while I fired up a full chimney of kingsford. Did not have alder. Used a mix of cherry and apple. Full water pan. Open on top with one vent on the bottom at 50%. Put fish on a foil sling and smoked for 1 hour. Started 325 and drifted to about 250. Did not use a thermometer in the meat, just cooked it by touch.

After a 15 minute rest, moist and delicious. I normally like salmon undercooked, but this stuff was great cooked through. Sure it would be better with a better, skin-on cut of fish, but I wanted to see if $4.99 Salmon was something I could make taste good.

Thanks Cardogs!

Here is the recipe address:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/salmon1.html

Do you know if all the salmon filets at Costco are skinless? You can't really tell in the packaging. Salmon is something that I would definitely like to try. I am a little surprised by the high heat, seems like it would be more like baked salmon.

I have mde this recipe many times and it is always a winner. I reduce the salt used. Try it on wedges of toasted Pita bread with this sauce on it.

Remoulade:
2 cups mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 sour gherkins, minced
3 tablespoons capers, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
1 tablespoon chopped tarragon leaves
1 1/2 anchovies, minced
Several dashes hot pepper sauce

Mitch

At the Costcos around here all the farmed atlantic salmon is skinless, but they also have wild salmon and that has the skin on.

Agree that the temp looks a little high. When trying a new recipe I tend to follow it as closely as possible first time around and then work on making it my own.

The original recipe describes methods for a charcoal or gas grill, then stating that you could also smoke it. I like the control and the moisture that the water smoker brings to the table.

Back