Carbon steel wok recommendations?

JohnTak

TVWBB Pro
I'm thinking about getting a wok, any good input will be appreciated. Probably a flat bottom would be easier to use? I have a gas stove and my Weber charcoal burners.

Adding information about what you intend to cook would probably help guide the responses.
Asian markets are a good source for these if you have one in your area.
I agree with you that flat bottom is better for a range top, but a round bottom would be ideal for stir fry. The flat bottom is convenient to put down.
I would also get a nice big wok with lots of room to operate. Any wok is a beast to store due to the outer diameter and the handles. We stir fry rice in pretty big batches in a big wok.
The gas stove should work ok - use 100% power and a dash of oil for crisp stir fry. I would not expect charcoal to work very well due to the lower temperature.
Avoid any gimmicks except the flat bottom. It is a simple peasant tool, so don't overspend or overthink it. Don't even think about non-stick and high heat together. Your best best is a simple traditional Chinese wok. Keep it dry and oiled. Never machine wash. It will turn black. (Edit: cooking, not machine washing, turns the wok black)
My brother's family never, ever uses their oven and their wok lives on the stove and cooks just about everything. You can bake in a wok by balancing stuff on chopsticks. Soup also works.
Special high heat oil is also necessary for stir fry. Peanut oil is traditional, but there are other options.

Last edited:
Smoking up the kitchen is definitely a thing. You will be happier with a wok if you have a strong exhaust fan/hood over your stove that vents the smoke outside. That's why the outside table is such a great upgrade.

I don't have one yet, but I have been studying up on them and the one @Bill S. has looks about perfect. Round bottom because you use less oil, hammered so the food you want out of the fire will stay on the sides because they are not smooth, wooden handles so they are not hot, and the second handle is nice for moving with 2 hands.

Last edited:
You know, I have two turkey fryer burners out in the black hole of the garage, I should build a ”wok station” ! It would not get a lot of work in the winter but, it might be handy for summer work. Gave away my wok but, I have no compunction about replacing it, good reason for a trip to Chicago!
Thanks guys, one more blasted project to build!

You know, I have two turkey fryer burners out in the black hole of the garage, I should build a ”wok station” ! It would not get a lot of work in the winter but, it might be handy for summer work. Gave away my wok but, I have no compunction about replacing it, good reason for a trip to Chicago!
Thanks guys, one more blasted project to build!
Its what my turkey fryer is used for. My large carbon steel Wok. Only time I ever really use it them

I have several Made-In Blue Carbon Steel pans, really like them. Their Wok is very well made.

Back