Can't reach/or maintain higher temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean M.

TVWBB Fan
After I fire-up the WSM (standard method), then assemble the cooker my temps are about 350* and slowly drop as expected.

My problem is after I put my ribs (this time 2 spares on top w/rib ends on bottom) on the temperature drops to around 200* in 1 hr. I then crank open all bottom vents and get it up to 250* in 1 hr, then it starts dropping again to about 220* which is 3 hours into my smoke.

This is monitored with a calibrated 12" oil thermometer with a cork in the top vent.

Last smoke I had to invert my door and allow more air to reach the firepit and helped maintain a 25* increase, or 250*.

In conclusion, I am doing all my smokes with all 3 bottom vents open 100% and only averaging ~ 230*. Is this normal?

I used 2 full chimneys + 12 additional briquettes.

Temperature outside is 68 and cloudy - zero breeze.

I am into the "low and slow", and it will be good for my target 6+ hr cook for the ribs, but can somebody shed any light as to what is happening here?

Since I am 3-4 hours away from pulling, should I add more fuel? (briquettes? wood?)

Thanks in advance -
~ Sean

When you say chimneys, do you mean Webers-- which hold six pounds-- or the typical smaller units that hold only about four?

It's a Weber clone - 11" high x 6 7/8 Diameter.

So, I am using +/- 13 lbs. The charcoal ring is about 2/3rds full.

Thanks,
~ Sean

Here's what I do and usually observe: Light one Weber chimney with good fresh Kingsford and put it in the charcoal ring. Put another chimney full on top and let it just get ashed over. Assemble the cooker, fill the water pan with cool tap water and close it up, initially setting the bottom vents to about 20%. My top vent is fully open and unobstructed. The temp zooms up to 450 (I measure at the top grate). After about 20 minutes the temp starts to decline, and when it hits 330*, I put the food on and replace the lid. The temp will then normally increase to 250* (again at the grate) if I leave it set just as it is. Typical days here are sunny, 85* average with light breeze.

So, applying that as a standard, maybe no breeze is working against you-- too much is detrimental, obviously-- and you're not enjoying the heat gain that a warmer sunny day provides. I know most folks here who use a cork in the top vent to hold a thermometer don't usually report problems, but... Have you tried gently stirring the coal when the temps start to decline? Maybe it's an ash smothering problem.

Sean

I think you let your temp drop too low before opening the vents. Open at 250 rather than 200.

I would add additional coals to be sure I don't have the low temp problem.

Good luck. Hope things go well.

Paul

I believe he's saying the temp dropped to 200* after he put the meat on. But that does beg the question: how low is the temp being allowed to drop before the meat is added?

Thanks Doug and Paul.

In retrospect, I think my error was I let the initial temp drop too low before adding my meat. I think it was around 260* when I added the spares. I assume that made it tough to recover and maintain.

Inverting my door for 20-mins allowed me to get to 245* and I will try to maintain that for the duration.

I think I will add some more coals as Paul recommended.

I am also using a Brinkman charcoal pan as my water pan - I wonder if the extra gallon of water has any bearing?

Thanks,
~ Sean

I had a feeling I should have asked that question, and yes, more mass-- whether it's meat or water-- will affect the process.

Sounds like you've solved your problem. Meat should go on around 320 and, of course, temp will drop. When it gets around 250, begin to open your vents and then make the small adjustments to reach your stable cook temp.

I am surprised that you only went up to 350 when cooker was assembled. I haven't used Standard in a while and I'm sure I was using my WSM waterpan then. Apparently the increaed amount of water makes the difference.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back