Cant get temp down wsm

Jerry Pollard

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm cooking my first brisket. Started coals with the minion method at 4:30 a.m.
Started with too many coals in the chimney
(29) temp went to 250 immediately. closed all lower vents, climbed to 275, cant get it to come down?
How will 275 effect the cook time on 8 lb brisket?
would you foil, or not foil?
Its 10am now
Jerry P

It will just speeed it up some.

It won't hurt it a bit....Iam cooking one today at 350 lid....and yeah, I'd probably foil it once it breaks plateau.

Thanks Graig
its my first, trying to get it right!
How much cooking time would you say for this temp?
8 lb.
just checked, internal temp of brisket it 170 at the thick part,
Jerry

Jerry, I don't think the 25 degree temp difference will have a huge impact on cooking time, maybe reduce it by half an hour would be my guess.

From reading around the boards here it seems like the single biggest threat to steady temps is wind. So if it's absolutely critical to get temps down, I would have to think (someone with more experience correct me) that shutting all the vents and placing a fan where it's blowing on the bullet would do the job. Don't let it go very long and keep a CLOSE eye on the temps if you attempt this.

I just pulled my very first brisket off the WSM and I know I was able to hold temps steady with the bottom vents almost completely closed, like less than 1/4 inch of open space on each vent. Apparently when still new that's enough air intake to hold temps steady for a LONG time. I love this cooker!

Having the same problems today, used 15 coals Minion method...but afterall it is 90 degrees or so outside and WSM is in the sun...got all vents shut for last 45 min and temp has fallen from 285 to 263...better....oh BTW...got a chuck roast on for pulled beef sammies...

WSM
Old Kettle
Vermont Castings 4 burner

Back