Can't get Stoker to release/update IP

Ed Cardoza

TVWBB Pro
Hi all, LarryR posting from Ed's account. We're doing a Q and I can't get his Stoker to accept a new IP address. It's using 192.168.1.13 and this IP is also in use by a wireless adapter connected to his home theater system. Type it in and we get the wireless adapter connected to the home theater, not Stoker. I tried changing the wireless adapter IP connected to Stoker to 192.168.1.250, could pull the adapter up on his network but the IP address on Stoker after several re-boots it won't budge from 192.168.1.13. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Oh and the apple wood in Ed's smoker smells amazing!

Well folks it took a little cussing and discussing, but Larry was able to get us back in business with a new IP address.

For future reference. Changed the IP address on Stoker to .250 and worked like a charm. Now the test will be next time he fire's his Stoker-up what IP will it be assigned, should be 250 but we'll see.

I don't know much about the Stoker, but if the IP addressing information is set manually and not automatic via DHCP, the Stoker should remain at whatever it's set at now. However, this IP address configuration (including its subnet mask, etc.) will need to make sense for the addressing scheme your network is using.

But, if the IP addressing scheme is set to auto, and the Stoker gets its IP address from your wireless router via DHCP, then your address should change to the next available unused IP address on that network.

Problem with auto-configurations is that sometimes the device (like the stoker) will use the last IP address it had if they fail to properly get new information. In this case, the address can overlap with some other device.

This is all theoretical of course, but I've seen all kinds of stuff like this in my years of supporting IP devices on large campus networks.

Could be part of the problem you were looking at.

Back