Can't connect stoker using airport express

Troy Dawdy

I'll start with a short introduction since i'm new here. My name is Troy, i'm from Central Illinois. I'm a Correctional Lieutenant at a Medium Security prison, been there almost 13
years now. I own a kenmore gas grill, Weber stand up, small Weber that I use for tailgating, and a UDS that has a stoker hooked up to it (the stoker is what brought me here) I found out about your little corner of the internet from some folks a smoker forum I frequent. Someone said you guys were the ones to come to when stoker problems come up!

I've checked all the other airport express/stoker threads and none seem to be quite the same as mine so I decided to start one of my own. I'll start with my whole setup
Imac running Snow Leopard v10.6.5
Westell Model 6100 modem
Linksys WRT110 wireless router
Stoker with software version 2.6.1.193
Apple AirPort Express

Now that all of that is out of the way here is the problem. I've configured my express and everything seems to be working fine I connect the Stoker to it, look up the ip, type it in my browser window and then....nothing. It just keeps loading until it eventually times out. When I connect the stoker directly to my Linksys router and type in the ip it works fine, the Stoker Status page comes up.

Any idea whats wrong? It seems to be a problem with the express, but the stoker is giving me an ip, it just doesn't come up on the browser page when I type it in...
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Hello Troy and welcome to the forum.

These things can be difficult to diagnose when they aren’t sitting in front of us but here is what I would do.

To make sure the airport express is configured properly and connecting to the Linksys I’d connect one of my computers to it. If the computer does not receive a valid IP address or can’t surf the web then we know the problem isn’t with the stoker but with the network configuration. This could be many different things ranging from DHCP, invalid WEP/WPA keys or even MAC filtering on the wireless network. If you aren’t familiar with these configurations do you have a friend that can come over and help with the airport configuration? I don’t have an airport or Linksys and am not familiar with the administrative interfaces on those.

If the computer can use the airport connection fine then we can look at the stoker.
Is DHCP enabled on network? If so is the stoker using DHCP? The stoker manual has information on this but on mine you set the first octet to 255 in order to re-enable DHCP on the stoker. On mine it can take a few minutes or power cycles but it will eventually receive an IP address. If DHCP is not being used does the stoker have a valid IP address for the WLAN? On my network the LAN and WLAN are on different subnets so the IP would need to be changed.

Let us know if the airport express can be used with a computer and we try other solutions if need be.

Good luck

Mark is on the right track here. It would seem to be an issue with the airport express not connecting to the WiFi. Log into your Linksys and get all your security settings for WiFi (WEP/WPA,whatever) SSID, passcode etc. You'd probably save a lot of pain just sticking with Linksys gear. The WGA54G gaming adapter is pretty cheap too.

Back