Can you smoke Turkey too long?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have a couple of turkey breast in the smoker. Due to the wind I am having some trouble getting the temp up to where I want it. Usually it takes 3 1/2 to 4 hours to finish. Any forseen problems for me if I dont get the temp much higher, currently it is only 190, and it takes 8 hours or longer to get the turkey finished? Just wonderding if there is such a thing as smoking turkey too long.

Wind is indeed the enemy. Even an improvised windbreak is better than none at all.

As to smoking too long, yes, smoking too low and slow can result in dried out meat even if the desired finishing temp is not exceeded. Consider two things with turkey: One, you're not trying to break down connective tissues or render fat like you are with butt or brisket, so a low and slow cook is not preferable. Second, poultry spending too long between 40 and 140*-- the danger zone-- can be potentially dangerous to consume. Better to cook at 300-350*-- a dry water pan will let you achieve these temps with a full ring of lit charcoal and an average 10-12lb. turkey or turkey breast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back