Can you overcook pork butt?

I'm doing 30+ lbs of pork butt for a big potluck tomorrow. I need to have it off the smoker and wrapped to take with me by 8:00 AM (in a hot cooler, with towels, etc.), and will be served at 12:00. Obviously I need it done sometime between 6-7:30 tomorrow morning.

I generally figure 18-20 hours, which means putting it on at noon today. My question is what if its "done" at 4:00 AM, while I'm snoring away? An extra couple hours can't hurt it, right? It's a pretty forgiving piece of meat.

Also, I'm assuming the temp of the smoker is consistent and appropriate. I know that if the temps get whacky I may have issues.

Thanks for the advice.

Bill

I don't think you can overcook as in dried out or burnt but it will get mushy and gooey after that long if your temps get to high. With a 3 -4 hours rest in a cooler I would figure more around 12 - 15 hours cook time at 250 or so. I normally cook 6 -8 lbs butts for this time frame. For that long a cook and hold period I would keep the temps down below 225 and it can be done. Just my opinion of course as others will have different ideas.

Sure, you can overcook butt.

What makes butt 'forgiving' is its rather wide 'done' window. It's quite possible to go past that though and up with dry and/or poorly textured butt.

That said, the window is widest at low/slow temps--where you'll be cooking. I wouldn't worry about it.

Me, I have burned the exterior so bad that you couldnt eat it, and the inside was so mushy I didnt want to. But that was a bad night, was too thirsty to worry about temps. In your time frame, I agree with Randy & Kevin and see no problems if temps are steady.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But that was a bad night, was too thirsty to worry about temp </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL. Been there!

Thanks for all the advice, I may push off my start time a couple hours . . . have to remember the 4 hours in foil will affect final product.

Bill

Back