Can we talk about the Char Broil Big Easy?

I usually do two turkeys, this year I'm doing one on the char broil big easy. If you're not familiar, it basically uses infrared, it's almost like a propane air fryer. They're fairly inexpensive, under $100 on sale, way less right after thanksgiving used once. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HBI7D8/?tag=tvwb-20

I have a test turkey thawing now. My biggest thing is drippings for gravy, and this unit has a tray underneath to catch them.

Curious who else has used these, any tips?

I've had mine for quite awhile. Like you I do two turkeys, sometimes three. One in the oven ( traditional stuffed) and the CB for a fried turkey.
WSM gets a smoked one.
If you can find the foil liners for the drip tray, then that makes cleanup and removal easy.
I've done ham's, pork roasts, beef roasts in it and it's a nice tool.

I've had mine for quite awhile. Like you I do two turkeys, sometimes three. One in the oven ( traditional stuffed) and the CB for a fried turkey.
WSM gets a smoked one.
If you can find the foil liners for the drip tray, then that makes cleanup and removal easy.
I've done ham's, pork roasts, beef roasts in it and it's a nice tool.

It's relatively new for me, I've done 3-4 chickens all were amazing. I do have the foil liners for the drip tray. I'm thinking about foiling the bottom of the stainless vessel. Even after 4 chickens it got fairly "chunky", I easy offed it for clean turkey drippings, but I would rather not have to do that every thanksgiving.

Jacob, Ive had one for almost 10 years and love it. Inject the bird and fill the cavity with orange and lemon for additional flavor and the results have always been excellent. Gave to my son when we moved west and its still doing stellar work. Great flavor and moisture without the oil mess.

Using this as my notes page. First cook, incredible, however really need to make sure the turkey has good airflow thru the interior. No 'nose' at the bottom blocking etc. These things work very much like an air fryer, more important than usual to have a good air transfer into the center of the bird. For my 14lb turkey, I felt like I had to get the skin a little dark to make sure the interior bone area white meat was 158-160f before pulling it out

I'm going to keep the SS pot inside just like cookware. The drippings that fall on it etc, I don't want it outside with bugs or whatever when drippings are going to be used for gravy

It is SHOCKING how much drippings were pulled out. I think it's partially from the 'air fryer' aspect of the big easy cooking out the fat, along with brine. I'll dilute the drippings quite a bit before making gravy as I'm sure it's salty from brining

I never had any luck brining a turkey while using the big easy. As you said, the one I did was too salty, and I don't like much salt at all. Agreed its a great tool to have especially during holiday season.

Man I am TOTALLY sold on this. The brine turned out excellent. I use rodelles turkey brine, and cut the brine/salt to about 75% of what's on the bottle.

The skin was incredible. No smoke obviously, but I think for most folks looking for thanksgiving turkey that is actually a benefit.

Okay while the cooking method is amazing, clean up is a PAIN. The "basket" sticks like crazy even seasoned/oiled. Dishwasher helps but dang
Do you have the "collapsible" basket or the stock one? I have the stock and it's comparable to cleaning a rib rack.
I spray with pam and that somewhat helps.

I just bought one today. It was on clearance at Menards for 89.99 plus their 11% rebate. They didn’t have the drip pan liners, so I’ll have to look for those. Thanks for sharing your experiences with this. I’ve been watching a few YouTube videos too.

Back