Can I use the Mid (smoking Chmaber) of 22.5 WSM on my 22.5 OTG Kettle Grill

Ali Mivehchi

TVWBB Member
I am in the process of salvaging (maybe if this idea of mine works) a few pieces/parts of a 22.5 WSM and was wondering if I can use its mid section (Smoking Chamber) on my 22.5 OTG Kettle grill without any major mods. Can I?

Thank you in advance.

I've seen a few posts that members used the mid-section of a 18.5" WSM on a similar kettle, so if all things are equal it should work, but it will be one tall boy smoker.:wsm:

Tim

I am in the process of salvaging (maybe if this idea of mine works) a few pieces/parts of a 22.5 WSM and was wondering if I can use its mid section (Smoking Chamber) on my 22.5 OTG Kettle grill without any major mods. Can I?

Thank you in advance.

The bottom and top of both 18 and 22 WSMs are the same parts of the kettle bottom bowls. So yes the mid section of a 22 WSM will fit any 22 Kettle however the kettle lid will not fit as a top/lid.

You have to turn the mid section upside down for it to work with the grill bowl and lid. WSMs and the Grills are the reverse of each other in how the sections mate together.

You have to turn the mid section upside down for it to work with the grill bowl and lid. WSMs and the Grills are the reverse of each other in how the sections mate together.

Thank you everyone for your expertise and on the spot suggestions. I will move forward with salaving what I can.

Update - John Reyes is absolutely right. The WSM "center ring" that I was able to salvage is for a 2009 WSM, the Weber Kettle OTG is 2010, so the center ring did not need to be flipped upside down. It fits like a glove. The only issue that I am anticipating is the Kettle Top lid. I put it on, and gently went all the way around to make sure it sits flush. It did to the tune of ~95%. Waiting to see how it will act after it heats up (with the expansion of metal after it heats up and the heat rises). It might be a while before I can update everyone, but rest assured, I will.

Back