Can I covert my quick connect to a standard propane tank?

Tim Spreda

I did watch the video on how Chris put on a new regulator on a 1000. I have a Platinum Series II 3200. I have a quick connect hose/regulator.

Can I switch out a regulator that has a "normal" connect for everyday available tanks? If so could someone point me to the correct regulator to order?

Thanks, I am at the end of my rope with me beloved old grill. This may be difference from moving it on or keeping it.

Tim

Tim,
You can do like I did with my Platinum 3200, just replace the quick connect with this piece and you'll be good to go.

Screenshot_20210912-160705.png

Jeff

Jeff probably has the best solution. Buying some of the regulator hoses off of Amazon is kind of a crap shoot. They may say low pressure but are still too high for standard grills. If your old regulator is working well, then Go with Jeff's plan. There may be cheaper ones on Amazon.

This setup lets you keep the quick connect. It was on a grill I picked up. It works but it seems like a lot of fittings.

image.jpg

For the option Jeff showed above, how does the new piece attach?

Edit: I think I get it. Unscrew the quick connect nozzle, attach new "normal" nozzle.

Last edited:
How are you still getting away with using those old quick connect tanks? I had to replace my regulator and get new propane tanks like ten years ago. Nobody would fill them anymore.

I have a 1998 Platinum (not the Series Ii, though) and replaced the old style coupler plug with the QCC1 connector that Jeff showed and in less than a year my OG regulator started leaking, so there is some merit to replacing the regulator and hose assy. at the same time. If you do replace the whole shebang, don't forget to pick up some yellow pipe thread sealant suitable for NG/LPG (if you don't have any already.)

If you go with just the connector, the QCC1 comes with a small amount of Threadlocker thread sealant so additional sealant is not needed. Don't neglect to do a leak check when you are done.

Last edited:
How are you still getting away with using those old quick connect tanks? I had to replace my regulator and get new propane tanks like ten years ago. Nobody would fill them anymore.
The quick connects don’t make much sense since the OPD tanks use a hand nut to attach.

I still get 1 or 2 a year with enough propane in them to keep a quick connect regulator assembly around to consume the propane.

I don’t bother trying to refill them. Most places don’t know what they are anymore

Same here. I get tanks with rehab grills I buy some times. Many times they have the old POL connectors or a quick connect. I do what BPratt does and hook up an old quick connect hose to a grill and use up the gas and then just exchange them at a Walmart for a refilled tank with the new connector.
It is strange, but I only got one or two with grills this year. Past years I have gotten at least 5 or 6. I sell the empty ones with my rehab grills for $10 each. I was up to about 15 tanks but I only have 7 or 8 now. Well, 7-8 that are not being used.

Same here. I get tanks with rehab grills I buy some times. Many times they have the old POL connectors or a quick connect. I do what BPratt does and hook up an old quick connect hose to a grill and use up the gas and then just exchange them at a Walmart for a refilled tank with the new connector.
It is strange, but I only got one or two with grills this year. Past years I have gotten at least 5 or 6. I sell the empty ones with my rehab grills for $10 each. I was up to about 15 tanks but I only have 7 or 8 now. Well, 7-8 that are not being used.
I used to average 3 tanks a week. Now I get 1 or 2 per month. Walmart swaps exchange tanks for $15.00 so it’s kind of hard to sell a full tank for $25.00 anymore.

That's wild! I would never have guessed that those quick connect tanks were still floating around in such numbers.

That's wild! I would never have guessed that those quick connect tanks were still floating around in such numbers.
Yeah, almost twenty years after OPD was mandated here in CA...I remember it well. I had 2 tanks that I couldn't get filled so I had to toss 'em (no propane exchanges back then).

The quick connect tanks did have OPD on them, right? My problem here was that when you went to refill them they knew they were older and checked the certification dates on them. No more refills. At least they gave me credit towards new tanks, but I do remember being a little angry at the inconvenience of the whole thing.

It's the trapezoidal shape of the handle on the valve that identifies tanks with an OPD. The tanks could have any number of fittings on them, or no fitting at all, just the valve. The external Acme thread has more or less become the standard and many of them also accept the internally threaded POL adapters (I had one that didn't!)

Back