Can I cook a Butt and Brisket together

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I want to try the midnight cook Chris talks about, but I want to cook both a butt and a brisket at the same time. Can I do this, and if so what modifications to the cooking process would I have to make

You can do it. Put the butt on the top rack and the brisket on the lower rack. Try to get the same size of meat and they might come off about the same time. If you have two polders it might be fun to watch the internal on each piece as they finish in the morning. I would putt the butt around 200 internal and the brisket around 190.

In my opinion this is the best way to cook a brisket. I believe having the butt on top keeps the brisket from drying out and also adds a lot of good flavor. Personal I try not to cook brisket anymore without having a butt over it. My butt usually run 8-9 lbs and the flats run closer to 6.5 lbs so the brisket has always taken less time, as might be expected.

Thanks for the info. Now I have a followup question. Can I put more than 1 butt and brisket in at a time (2 butts and 2 briskets at the same time) and if so, would I need to do anything differently?

I normally cook a 10 lb packer cut brisket. You can only put one on each grate. You could probably set two butts on a grate, depending on size.

I have managed to squeeze four 8lb butts into the WSM at once. However, I would not recommended it.
I fought the temps the whole cook. Probably due to a combination of moist charcoal and too much meat.

With that much meat in the cooker, the heat flow won't be near as good as compared to a lone brisket on the lower grate and a butt on top.

Just shows the need for a 22" WSM!!
-----------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back