Can fixed wheels simply be replaced with casters on Weber II 435 and on Performance Deluxe?

Darren Lebner

TVWBB All-Star
Anyone done this or know? Of course, my interest is in keeping the grill and work surfaces evenly level after the wheel swap.

Thanks for your help!

Yes it can be done. Look for some posts from Dave from KC for ideas
Thanks. I found that "Dave in KC" has around 1700 posts. I started looking through some of them. Great custom work but all I'm asking here is whether s simple swap of wheels for casters with their inserts is all that's needed. I could not find a specific discussion on this.

As long as your legs are the same length and you have the inserts that fit your frame tube size, I don’t see any reason why that would not work. You may well have to cut your legs to length, and the Genesis II has a different shape leg than the Performer. You will need the appropriate insert for each grill.

As long as your legs are the same length and you have the inserts that fit your frame tube size, I don’t see any reason why that would not work. You may well have to cut your legs to length, and the Genesis II has a different shape leg than the Performer. You will need the appropriate insert for each grill.
Thanks. Time to measure...

By the way, I forgot to say "Welcome to TVWBB!"
Thanks. I'll be mostly lurking here to learn. I'm an amateur BBQ'er but grilling goes back in my city slicker family to the early days of my late father's summer vacation homes. I've learned a lot since then, not only thanks to my father but also thanks to years of family grilling for our children and grandkids. The latter are the reason why a Genesis 310 wasn't big enough anymore and I had to move up to a II 435.

OK, from what I checked a week ago, switching the fixed wheels to casters on the Genesis II 435 should work. However, that's located at my other home and I won't be there for a while until I can confirm. I will post an update here when I'm on location.

However, the height off the floor of 2 sides of the Performance Deluxe are not the same. The wheel-side tubes are further away from the floor than the tubes housing the casters. So that's scratched off my list.

Thanks everyone for you advice. Happy grilling!

Darren,

Yep, that would be a deal breaker on the Performer. I actually like the regular wheels on one side as they aren't all that hard to move your grill and make it easier if not just on a deck or patio. They also help anchor your grill a little better. It was interesting that Weber abandoned the 4 casters when they switched from the 300 series grills to the Genesis II line. This was actually a return to the classic Weber design.

Darren,

Yep, that would be a deal breaker on the Performer. I actually like the regular wheels on one side as they aren't all that hard to move your grill and make it easier if not just on a deck or patio. They also help anchor your grill a little better. It was interesting that Weber abandoned the 4 casters when they switched from the 300 series grills to the Genesis II line. This was actually a return to the classic Weber design.
I'm going to open up a new post on the Weber Charcoal Kettle forum. I measure a 3/4 inch difference between the higher fixed wheel side's metal leg from the ground, compared to the caster-side leg of the Performer Deluxe. So I took out my level bar and - guess what? the upper surface of the performer is slanted ever so slightly downward toward the caster wheel side of the cart.

So I locked the caster wheels and slid a 3/4 inch stick under the caster wheel. The level went... level.

But I want someone else with the same grill to confirm the same before I get myself a pair of wheels.

I'm going to open up a new post on the Weber Charcoal Kettle forum. I measure a 3/4 inch difference between the higher fixed wheel side's metal leg from the ground, compared to the caster-side leg of the Performer Deluxe. So I took out my level bar and - guess what? the upper surface of the performer is slanted ever so slightly downward toward the caster wheel side of the cart.

So I locked the caster wheels and slid a 3/4 inch stick under the caster wheel. The level went... level.

But I want someone else with the same grill to confirm the same before I get myself a pair of wheels.
Most man-made horizontal surfaces are sloped for drainage, so I think it will depend on where the grill is located. The fact that it has wheels means that it may not be level in all locations.

Most man-made horizontal surfaces are sloped for drainage, so I think it will depend on where the grill is located. The fact that it has wheels means that it may not be level in all locations.
Hi Ed,

I measured both the height of the metal leg edges off the ground. I also used the level to make sure that the ceramic tile floor location the Performer was located above was level. That's why I'm asking whether this is true for other Performer Deluxe owners.

Hi Darren!

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. Typically the fixed wheels are mounted on a solid axle that runs through a hole in the frame tubing, yes? If so, the location of the hole for the axle and the diameter of the wheels sets the height on that end. Then you want to remove the wheels and axle on the fixed wheel end and put casters in its place so that you have casters at all four corners. You're bumfuzzled because with the fixed wheels in place you have a pitch toward the caster end that is remedied when you put a 3/4" shim under the casters. Have I got it?

I can't help but think that you might be over-thinking this. Could you not just spend the $20 or so for a pair of casters with inserts and install them and go from there?

I should have said most man-made outdoor surfaces are sloped for drainage, but no matter. What I meant was that, if you were to move a grill that was level on one side of a deck to the other side of the deck, it may not be level any more. Typically something is leveled after it is "spotted" (in its permanent position) and then if moved, checked and re-leveled after moving, and having wheels implies that you will be moving it.

Last edited:
Hi Darren!

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing. Typically the fixed wheels are mounted on a solid axle that runs through a hole in the frame tubing, yes? If so, the location of the hole for the axle and the diameter of the wheels sets the height on that end. Then you want to remove the wheels and axle on the fixed wheel end and put casters in its place so that you have casters at all four corners. You're bumfuzzled because with the fixed wheels in place you have a pitch toward the caster end that is remedied when you put a 3/4" shim under the casters. Have I got it?

I can't help but think that you might be over-thinking this. Could you not just spend the $20 or so for a pair of casters with inserts and install them and go from there?

I should have said most man-made outdoor surfaces are sloped for drainage, but no matter. What I meant was that, if you were to move a grill that was level on one side of a deck to the other side of the deck, it may not be level any more. Typically something is leveled after it is "spotted" (in its permanent position) and then if moved, checked and re-leveled after moving, and having wheels implies that you will be moving it.
1. We are talking about the same thing.

3. Yes, I'm over-thinking. But that's just the way I am. A pair of wheels it is!

On the fixed wheel end, you may (or may not) have to trim some off the frame with a hacksaw. As long as you don't cut into the hole for the axle, you can always revert back to the fixed wheel setup. Also, another area of adjustment you might look at is shimming the kettle itself where it bolts to the frame.

Assuming you bought the same casters that are on the caster end, here is a simple way of finding the installed caster height (in this case, 2-7/16").

20200727_154531.jpg

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Last edited:
On the fixed wheel end, you may (or may not) have to trim some off the frame with a hacksaw. As long as you don't cut into the hole for the axle, you can always revert back to the fixed wheel setup. Also, another area of adjustment you might look at is shimming the kettle itself where it bolts to the frame.

Assuming you bought the same casters that are on the caster end, here is a simple way of finding the installed caster height (in this case, 2-7/16").

View attachment 40599

Good luck! Keep us posted!
Wheels ordered. It'll be a while till I actual get to toying around with this. Thanks, everyone.

Oops. Forgot about this.

I'm really peeved. On the Performer, there's indeed a 1/2-3/4 inch difference in the leg height off the ground. That's obviously out, except for the talented who have to tools to cut the metal clean and even.

But I'm really annoyed about the G435. There's perhaps just a 1/4 inch difference between the leg lengths on both sides. What forced Weber to do that? Is it to intentionally limit the simple swapping in of caster wheels? So annoying!

Back