Can anyone help with PID adjustment?

JJones

I am running a 22" weber Kettle (performer) with a microdamper and I don't know where to start with the PID adjustments.
Current Settings,
P=4
I=0.02
D=5
Fan output voltage on above 0% min 0% max 50% startup max 50%

As of right now, I get crazy temp swings. I think I have 2 issues
1. Gap around gas assist tube might be letting too much air in.
2. Charcoal burning out because of poor placement.

I know I will have to fix these issues before I can tune this correctly but while I am trying to get the hang of the heatermeter, I tried to look at the real time PID values using the instructions from the GitHub site below... But pressing "P" from the home screen does not do anything for me. Anybody else have this issue?

Experimental Tuning:While logged in to LinkMeter and on the Home screen, press 'P' on your keyboard to open the "PID Debug" information screen. Here you'll see up-to-the-second information on what factors are driving the output. This data can be used to tune your PID constants

Also,
If anyone has the same setup as me, can you share your PID values?

I know I will have to fix these issues before I can tune this correctly but while I am trying to get the hang of the heatermeter, I tried to look at the real time PID values using the instructions from the GitHub site below... But pressing "P" from the home screen does not do anything for me. Anybody else have this issue?
You have to be logged in (the URL at the top should be .../admin/lm/home), then make sure the web page has 'focus' by clicking anywhere (like in the big blue empty area), then just press the letter p on your keyboard. It should show up within 5 seconds.

One of the original MicroDamper owners (Benjamin Thibault) tuned his kettle (note: using a "Slow 'n' Sear") to 6, 0.017, 5 and from the looks of his graphs you'd think he was using a kamado because they are smooth as glass. The fan settings I'm not sure what he was using but I think you're pretty close to what should be used.

It should be noted though, that slow n sear does wonders on its own. Highly recommend it by the way.

Thanks Steve. I actually looked for the numbers I had shown you, but with a quick look didn't find them. My PIDs are setup for my PBC now.

Back