Camping with scouts ...Q

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

In a couple of weeks, I will be serving 12-15 scouts some pulled pork. My guess is that we will be at the campsite at about 3pm. What is the best way to heat and serve Q at the campsite?
That is 'car' camping. My original plans were to smoke onsite but there will be a 2-3 hour mnt. bike ride about noon-I will not smoke unattended.
Thanks for the help.

If you can't cook on site, is it possible to cook it ahead of time? Then freeze it. You could carry it in a cooler with either regular ice or dry ice. Then do a heat and serve at camp.

Reheat in a dutch oven. Scouts love them some dutch ovens and the food they can make with em.

Actually you should ask a Scout. They all know dutch ovens its the cornerstone of Scout field cooking.

I wouldn't cook onsite, with shoulder you really have no idea how long it's gonna take. I have great luck just smoking my pulled pork and putting in freezer in ziplock baggies till the day before eat day, then pull out to thaw.

If you have electricity, my fav way to serve pulled pork is in a crockpot...keeps it moist and hot.

If no electricity, I'm thinking a dutch oven would scorch, Idunno. If you are going straight to the site from home and then eating, I'd heat it up at home in advance (microwave or crockpot), then put in aluminum pans covered with foil and possibly reheat the pan(s) at the site, perhaps over a sterno. Costco and Sam's has a $15 chafing dish/sterno setup which would suffice, but that may be too hoity-toity for scouts. You could reheat over a grill or open flame in the aluminum pans. Orrrr you could just take your smoker and run it at low heat and keep it in that. Idunno, just brainstorming here.

Steve.....

I camp almost every weekend and am the chair for the Scout's cooking activities..imagine that! LOL.....one reason I have had to put my comp plans on hold. Matter of fact, the annual Scout Family Campout is this coming weekend.

Normally, I let my son and his Scout friends do the cooking, but many times have taken Q with us. For pulled pork, I always seal in FoodSaver bags. These are the handiest things to have...main reason....they can be boiled in a pot of water. Even if I do not freeze it prior, I still use them so I can boil.

VERY hard to do it any other way! No oven or micro and direct cooking, unless using gobs of sauce, will dry it out too much.

So, I simply boil in water and use either the fire for heat or the propane stove. Easy stuff...BUT you need the FS bags to hold up against the heat.

Gentlemen, You are correct-precook and rewarm in boiling water. Now ,about that vacuseal gadget I have been wanting....

They usually have the Vacu-Seal thingies for pretty good prices on iqvc.com or hsn.com, we got ours from one of those places and love it. You can buy extra bags at Wal-Mart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back