Camp Grilling

Darrell O

TVWBB Fan
I finally get to have a week of camping. Tradition dictates that I cook Cornell Chicken on the first night. I usually cook it indirectly on my kettle grill at home. When camping I bring a WeberQ, which only has one burner and you can't cook indirectly. Does anyone have any tips on cooking indirectly when you only have one burner? Maybe I could lift the chicken up a little on a cast iron grate and frying pan. I find that the skin burns a little too much for my liking when I cook chicken directly the whole time.

Thanks for any tips,
Oak

Never used a Weber Q, but raising the chicken sounds like a reasonable solution, perhaps only, to me. I've cooked on a charbroil gasser with two burners and sometimes had too much stuff on to set up a direct/indirect grill. I used the upper rack of the gasser as my indirect. Worked for me.

I finally get to have a week of camping. Tradition dictates that I cook Cornell Chicken on the first night. I usually cook it indirectly on my kettle grill at home. When camping I bring a WeberQ, which only has one burner and you can't cook indirectly. Does anyone have any tips on cooking indirectly when you only have one burner? Maybe I could lift the chicken up a little on a cast iron grate and frying pan. I find that the skin burns a little too much for my liking when I cook chicken directly the whole time.

Is there a reason you're not cooking using a camp fire? I've taken to using camp coals in a Smokey Joe when camping. Great flavor from the pecan trees on our farm.

It's like driving in fog...don't do it if you dont have too. :)

Seriously, the link Timothy posted should serve you well. Good luck.

I'm so jealous that you get to gp camping..my family refuses to go anymore...regardless of how good the grub is.

I'm with JamesH. Build a cooking fire and let it burn down to coals. Set the grate from your kettle up on some rocks (bricks, logs, etc.) to the side of the fire and scoop some of the coals under the edge of the grill. Cook indirectly as you would on the kettle. Just be careful of flare ups - you won't have oxygen control and a lid to help you there so you will have to be vigilant. You may have to add wood to the fire to replenish the coals during your cook. Food cooked this way is very tasty and provides the ambiance of a true camping experience.

Regards,

John

Back