Camel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamus

For my solstice party this year, a friend brought in some camel meat. he's in mineappolis and they have enough somalis there that camel can be had at the halal butcher.

I did a big web search on it, and the best advice I could find was that one should treat it like brisket. It didn't say which cuts should be treated like brisket, and didn't actually differentiate between cuts.

it showed up and was a rib roast. heavy fat pad and it it looked full of connective tissue. I didn't get it until Friday night, so I threw it in the brine with the pork butts (and a couple of rabbits) to give it at least 4 or 5 hours in brine.

at around 2AM I set up the bullet with the minion method, water in the pan. 3AM brought a nice, stable 240 degree temp. put on the meat and used the kingsford hickory chips. I didn't realize I was out of chunks until too late, and had to run out for a 1AM beer and hickory chips run. they do the job, just take more work. I soaked the chips.

meat and the first round of chips went on at 3:15. I rubbed the camel with salt lick BBQ brand dry rub. I went to bed, was up at 10AM. Temp was still at 240, and stayed that way pretty much all day. I replenished with cold water and threw more chips on. It cooked with a hog's leg and a trimmed pork butt.

at 9PM, the camel came off and rested for 20 min. the fat pad was trimmed back. there was a nice smoke ring. so that's about 15 hours of smoking.

the meat itself had the texture of goat leg, a perennial favorite on my bullet. It did not have the flavor of goat. In fact, only a mild gamey flavor more along the line of venison. it was not at all dry, but the connective tissue was broken up well.

that site was right-- treating the meat like brisket was the way to go. I was even a little dissapointed that it was so mild.

I believe my friend payed $3.19 a pound for the roast. it was fine eating, and a cut that really does need to be bbq'd. worth trying, if you've got a halal butcher around that carries. it.

Seattle exotic meats carries camel, but it's $8 a pound, and I wouldn't pay that for it. plus, seattle exotic meats doesn't have the best quality. I've got too much stuff from them that was freezer burned to go back.

So you're a camel smoker.

; )

That's interesting. I didn't know anyone ate camel.

I once at lion, but I felt bad about it the whole time (and it was at a restaurant, so didn't have to figure out how to cook it).

I did try to smoke Canada Goose breast, but I think it was the wrong time of the year for it (winter---very tough meat). Did a venison roast, too, which was delicious but a bit dry. Next time I'll wrap it in pork fat.

Susan you are too much!! <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So you're a camel smoker <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that Camel filtered or unfiltered?
icon_wink.gif

I'd fly 3000 miles to smoke a camel
icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, I would like to try it. I have my doubts I could get ahold of camel in Tennessee though
icon_confused.gif

I shot a camel with a 40mm HE round in the first gulf war. I will starve to death before I eat one of those filthy stinking mongrels.

You'll never have to prove your manhood to anyone if you eat one of those beasts.

Hopefully you got some farm raised clean, hand raised camel. Billy goats would puke around the camel meat I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back