Cambro Containers - Microwave Safe ????

Jim, are you putting the milk directly in your slow cooker or in jars surrounded by water? It looks as if you have a 4-quart cooker?

Rita

I put the milk in the crock. I got an answer from Crock Pot. The "warm" temp is 165 to 170' cooking on high or low is set at 215. I guess you would have to have a temp controller like I have for my beer fridge to keep your Crock Pot in the zone. Yes, the old one held a max of 1 gallon, right to the tippy top.

Jim, I think you mentioned that your crock is an older model. The temps in the older ones were a bit lower than the newer models (but I don't know how much lower), so it looks as if the 165+ is out of the ballpark if yogurt is supposed to be incubated at around 110° to 115°. I've read that temps higher than 120° will kill the bacteria, so I haven't tried higher temperatures. But yet it works for you. Interesting.

Here is an article I found concerning slow cooker temps (check the link within the article as well):
http://blogs.roanoke.com/fridgemagnet/2011/02/thats-right-the-crock-pots-are-hotter/

Rita

Back