callout thread: who's the guy who painted their cajun bandit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroyRedington

TVWBB All-Star
I believe I have an unpainted cajun bandit on its way to my house soon and I'm planning on painting it to match a kettle.

I KNOW its been done a few times and I'm looking for the guys who did it so they can give me some advice
icon_smile.gif

Hi Troy, well I have never painted a CB, but I would imagine they used a high heat primer and paint. What's cool about painting a smoker is that they generally don't hit those high heats. Most high heat paints can withstand 400 degrees plus without changing color and bubbling. I saw the green one you are probably refering. It's nice, do I detect a baby blue one is being born?

i'm actually doing a red one. I thought about using the green or the baby blue... but since they're rare colors i decided that I don't want to drill into them.

I'm going to paint a cajun bandit red to match a red kettle, but i want to make it glossy like a kettle.

That would be me. I painted one of my Cajun Bandit conversions Red to match my Performer.

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

I used Dupli-Color Engine Red with Ceramic-the same paint I use on my REDrum Smoker, Imperial Kamado and Red kettle restorations. It says on the can its good to 500*. The only other HT paint I can find locally is Stove Brite and the Red is no match to Weber Red.

100_2565.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

...so the paint eventually starts to get a two tone shade and although it hasn't burnt off (yet) it will at some point.

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg

I only say that, because I repainted my 2.5 year old CB last year with 1200* Gloss BBQ paint and its starting to fade as is my Mini CB.

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_3508.jpg

But I don't worry about it much because I use them and they get used a lot!

When I give my WSM's a good cleaning, you can tell the center section is taking a lot of heat and the the only thing keeping them from rusting is the porcelain finish.
The anodized finish and high temp paint of the Cajun Bandit is probably the best option they have to keep them affordable, in my book I can deal with a little rust.

If it were my choice, I would not get an unpainted one, because I haven't found a decent High Temp gloss paint-they all seem to fade out and burn off. I knocked myself out repainting a Bandera, taking most of it to bare metal and using 1200* HT flat as a base coat and gloss over it and they all fall short.

IMG_3616.jpg

I hope this doesn't sound too negative, or in any way changes your mind about painting yours Red, I'm just laying it all out there from my perspective.

I am the Cajun Bandits biggest fan!

brian, thank you so much for stepping up and sharing all your info
icon_smile.gif

i'll probably ask you another question or two tomorrow night. going to email Chris over at cajun bandit and see what he thinks.
Anyone notice they have a new website??

Very nice job and collection Brian & Troy! Has anyone tried flame proof paint? I have seen it in black only.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
Very nice job and collection Brian & Troy! Has anyone tried flame proof paint? I have seen it in black only. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Shaun!

Haven't seen flameproof black paint. What brand?

Here is my Cookshack Smokette that came in Red!
100_2193.jpg

Got a thing for Redheads!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Roller:
Does anyone have any experience with these 2 products?

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=381

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGPr...p?pid=371&sid=248908 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I do. I think it's Rustoleum that makes the flame proof as well. I'm not a fan of the 2000 degree because it's not shiny. I have used the 500 degree for touch ups though. I think another way to go would be caliper paint.

I looked into this when I was restoring my SS Performer - I don't think caliper paint is rated that high. The cans say something like tolerates upto 500F intermittently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back