Calling the Rib experts

Joe McManus

TVWBB All-Star
Did three slabs of BBs over the weekend. Used the Chris Lily approach and rub (w/ some minor tweeks). Taste was great, they could have cooked a little longer but that was my fault for not managing temperatures very well.

The ribs had somewhat of a "fuzzy" feeling or texture in the mouth. Not every bite, just the occasional bite. Any of you experienced that? Seemed like the rub, maybe an area got too thickly coated.

It didn't taste bad or anything, just felt a little wierd. Nobody else noticed it. Only suspect i can come up with is the paprika, but that seems like a stretch to me as I've never had that experience before. Thoughts?

Yes, I have. What was in your rub? I agree with your thinking: When it's happened to me it definitely seemed like it was a built-up rub area. I've not had it happen on ribs, but I have on brisket.

This is the basic rub recipe I used.

Chris Lily's Ribs

I made sure to rub it in and thought it was evenly distributed. The reason I suspect the paprika as the culprit is I use the Sam's club Tones large bottle. I've tried many different paprikas, and I honestly have never noticed a difference, especially when i'm just using the mild stuff. And the tones paprika is pretty fine ground which i usually like.

Just so there's no confusion, i did smoke these guys, didn't do them in the oven the way the recipe is written.

Hmmm. I used this one. My feeling originally was that this was a 'moister' dry rub, what with the coffee and cocoa, but I applied it evenly. It just felt, in spots and occasionally as you say, 'fuzzy'. I had no reason to suspect a build-up per se, it just struck me as that, or that I'd needed to apply less. I've not had this happen before. I've been planning on re-vamping this rub, cutting the sugar a bit, the coffee and cocoa substantially (I want them less forward), and adding ground Ancho and Aleppo for some of the Guajillo. I've been planning to apply less, but now I'm thinking I'll apply less on 1/2 and my usual on the other. That, or cook two.

I have had that experience before myself, never thought of it as the Paprika though, interesting. I was using a rub recipe from Smoke and Spice (KC Ribs) on St. Louis Spares and chalked it up to getting a little carried away with the rub.

Back