Calling all spare ribs experts

Jason B

TVWBB Fan
Hey folks...

My wife accidentally purchased spare ribs instead of baby back loin ribs.

I figured what better opportunity to try something new. I cut them "Kansas City Style" after looking at Chris' article.

Well couple questions:

1) will they cook about the same time wise as loin backs since they're now similiar in size after I trimmed them down or is the meat type what makes it a longer cook?

2) After I trimmed everything I had 3 big hunks of sternum meat with fingery bones inside the meat. I trimmed that down further to make some "strips" which I'm cooking as a snack. BUT seems like all that meat on the sternum itself which now resembles a big ole' rib is a waste not to cook. Do you guys generally cook these things as their own ribs?

Thanks
-J

I'm far from an expert, but I usually leave them whole, and deal with the cartlidge/bones. I think most people do tend to cook the the St. Louis style trimmed a bit longer than BB's, mostly becuse there is still more meat on them, even though they may look about the same.

As for the sternum meat, definately cook it. Use your same rub as ribs, it's just a bit more difficult to eat with the cartlidge.

I cook spares almost exclusively as opposed to BBs so maybe I can't give you the best comparison. The spare rib comes from lower down on the hog so, imo, the meat probably would be a little tougher than up near the back area. So, I believe a longer cook for the spare will be required no matter how you trim them. I also do the St Louis trim.

Without using foil, my spares take 7 to 8 hours to be tender. If I use foil for 45 min. to an hour at the 3.5 hr mark and then finish unfoiled, they take 5 to 6. Test doneness with a toothpick between the bones. It is important to cook for some period out of the foil after you foil in order to firm up the meat.

Yes, I cook that boney piece of meat you refer to which I suppose may be the sternum. It will take as long as the ribs and I foil it also.

I happen to prefer the spares, they have lots of meat and an attractive price. Downside, longer to prep and cook.

HTH

Paul

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I'd say it took me an hour just to prep these ribs, but that was making a trip or two back to the computer to check Chris' illustrations.

I'm looking forward to see how these turn out. I just basted with some AJ about 2 hours into the cook. I've got a 7llb flat on under it thats around 160* so figured I'd spritz both.

I tossed the sternum meat this time, but definitely won't on my next spareribs.

I'm gonna use all those extra strips of pork when I try my hand at one of the pork chili recipes this week. Although when its nearly 100* outside with a humidity of 98% I'm not sure how in the mood I'll be for chili.

I trim off any of the meat outside of the smallest rib, and use that for "teste test" after a few hours.
icon_wink.gif
I also pull the membrane off.
I just foiled 2 racks a few minutes ago. I don't do it all the time, but I need to hurry these along because of a late start today. Foil or not, I have never had any done in less than 6 hours.
Hope all turns out well for you.

I did 2 racks of spares today
3 hours in the rib rack.
2 hours wraped in foil
with BBQ sauce and a lil beer
1hour with the foil open. man they were good

Back