California Pepper Tree Wood

Jane Cherry

TVWBB All-Star
We had one third of our gorgeous 30' pepper tree come down in a storm the other day. Can we use this wood to smoke anything with? The leaves have a spicy, peppery scent, and was thinking that beef would go well with the papper, specifically pastrami? What do you all think?

I have never thought to try it. The wood does not have qualities I associate with good smoke wood--brittle and with a very high oil content. All parts of the trees are used medicinally in South America (and hence their name in most places where they grow here: Brazilian (or Peruvian) peppertree). Many people find the leaves, berries and wood irritating. Whether that possibility would extend to burning wood I don't know--possible, it would seem, as it is so resinous.

They are invasive here in Fla. I hate the things and have spent years ridding my property of them. I have two that just keep returning; the many others I find and rip out before they establish.

Mine has never reproduced itself anywhere, the problem we have here with that is the African Sumac or the Rhus lancia (sp). Those things you can't get rid of here.

Thanks, we'll just stick it on the alley and have the city pick it up.

Back