California > Buellton: The Hitching Post 2

Chuck-roaniecowpony

TVWBB Super Fan
The Hitching Post 2
420 E Highway 246
Buellton CA 93427
https://www.hitchingpost2.com/index.html

This Central California Coast restaurant was made famous by the comedy movie Sideways where the star, Paul Giamatti sits at the bar and drinks pinot noir.

While this place has some BBQ items on the menu, it's primarily a steakhouse. But I thought it would be informative to our membership if traveling in the area.

We've eaten in this restaurant many times and the food is always great. However, the prices are through the roof since the movie and the recent inflation. So be prepared to spend as much as Ruth's Chris or Morton's, etc..

We were there a couple nights ago. I ordered a ribeye and my wife had the pork chop. Both meats were really great. Nice kiss of red oak smoke that is distinctive. In the past we've had the ribs and the tri-tip. I can't say I cared for the ribs, but the tri-tip is classic Central Coast grilled over red oak.

In this visit, we dined in their outdoor tent area that they must have erected during the Covid dining requirements. This tent is in their back parking lot, is very large, has redwood fencing around it up to within about a foot of the tent canopy to keep the draft out, and has heaters to make it comfortable. There was a large TV monitor with a closed circuit video of the grill in the kitchen. The grill is a classic Santa Maria (Argentine) open grill with a crank elevation adjustment. The fire was an open flame of red oak.

sideways bar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back