Cajun Bandit (Weber Grill Mod)

Status
Not open for further replies.
George:
The CB barrel, mounted, adds 18.25 inches to the height. Mounted on a One touch silver or gold with the CB supplied legs, the height is 47" from the bottom of the legs to the top of the kettle handle. If you are going to use a performer or a kettle with Weber legs, add 18.25" from the top of the Weber kettle rim, plus the height of the lid. I added 2' casters to the CB legs, adds 2.5 inches to the height, actually better, since it is easier to remove the ash pan.

LDW

OK--- I now have my Bandit assembled!!!! My new purchase...Tell me what to use for charcoal and how much and what to expect?????

I'm firing mine up again this weekend to do ribs for my parents and some of their friends (I actually hauled the CB 800 miles in the back of my minivan to upstate NY). I'm using lump charcoal when I can find it or all-natural briquettes (no binders but vegetable or cornstarch) that I've found at Lowes Home Improvement and Trader Joe's. The amount varies depending on the length of the cooking time, obviously. I put a heavy layer in the bottom and light a full chimney. I haven't had to add charcoal for a cook as long as 8 hours thus far...

I finally got around to assembling my Bandit. I have a OTG that I used for the conversion. I didn't like the idea of having to use the three fin ash removal system for controlling air flow, so I added two, four hole Weber circle vents for air control. I mounted them at the same location as the WSM.

I cooked four racks of spares on Saturday. I started with a half ring of unlit Rancher and added 2/3's of a chimney of lit. My temps came up fairly quickly and I closed the vents to 90% closed. They spiked to 250. I closed the vents completely until I got it back down to 225. I opened one vent up to about 10%. I shouldn't have started with so much lit, because I had a heck of a time keeping my temps down. I finally put about a gallon of cold water with the gallon and one half of hot water already in the bowl to help settle the temps down a bit. Even with all of the vents closed, including the top vent, this thing still wanted to run hot (300 degrees). I had to do this after I had the cooker open for 5 minutes when I was saucing the ribs. Next time, I will pull them out and put the lid on and pull it off again when I'm ready to put them back on after saucing. I'm not sure where it was drawing air from because the design seems even tighter than a factory WSM. Maybe it can pull some air through the ash system. It certainly isn't coming through the door. That is a vast improvement over Weber's design.

All in all, I like the size of this thing. Not having to cut the racks in half was great. I'm not a a big fan, however, of all of crap running down the outside of the cooker. I wish there was a way to prevent this or minimize it from happening. I can only imagine what this will look like when I do a big butt smoke. I have 12 to do for my bro's wedding. I might just bust out my two WSM's for that job and save the Bandit for big briskets and ribs.

I have an extra stainless steel door for the Bandit. I paid nothing for it, so if anybody is interested, I will ship it to them for the cost of shipping. BTW, the doors that Chris is producing for the WSM's are fantastic. Very tight and they look nice too.

I think your problem with temps is at least partially due to the addition of extra vents. The One Touch system is NOT airtight, and with the extra vents you installed, it is probably getting more air than it needs. On the upside, if you use that grill as a grill again, it'll probably burn far hotter than a stock unaltered one-touch.

I cooked a couple of slabs of ribs and a butt on the CB this weekend. After a few cooks, I feel confident controlling the temperature with the one-touch system. It's surprising how little I have to crack it open, but once adjusted it stays pretty steady at 225-250. I can let it go for several hours without checking or adjusting.

Anytime I have to open the lid, I shut the top and bottom vents all the way before putting the lid back on. After about five minutes, the temps come back down and I can set the vents back to normal.

Originally posted by Jake S:
I just noticed a feature of the CB. I was browsing the charcoal grate mods page, and I noticed that a couple of them are supposed to let you shake the charcoal grate/chamber to let you separate the ash.

The charcoal ring on my bandit has tabs stamped and formed into the bottom. You put the charcoal grate inside the ring, it sits on the tabs, then you just pick up the whole ring and shake out the ash.

I'd definitely used that feature, I just never realized it was something the WSM didn't have. If I had more energy right now, I'd go down and take a picture. As it is, here's a cropped and enlarged shot from when I first took it out of the box. You'll just have to imagine how it fits together.

ring.JPG
He is a rocket scientist... what did you expect?
icon_biggrin.gif

The last time that I used my Bandit, I went with some lump charcoal that had lots of small pieces in the bag. No problem with the majority of them falling through the charcoal grate, I just added a second, older grate and turned it 90 degrees to the first grate and vola!!! I cut the grate openings in half and didn't lose as much lump in the bottom of the Weber as before!!! Now I know that this is not a miracle, and I'm sure someone else has tried it on other Webers, but the nifty tabs on the charcoal ring make the addition of the second grate pretty easy and if you have to shake the charcoal, the grates stay put!!

There are two cooking grates. The overall design is very similar to the WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker), which is pictured below. From top to bottom:
Lid
cooking grate
cooking grate
water pan
charcoal ring
charcoal grate
charcoal bowl

wsm_cutaway.jpg

Originally posted by Robert McGinley:
I had, in the past, cut up a 55gal drum to add a center section to my performer but that didn't work out very well
I'm also thinkin' of doing this, Could you, or anyone else that have done this give us some details on the fit at the bottom and top, where to cut barrel to help make it fit, etc.?

Just received my Cajun Bandit w/stainless steel door.
At first glance I wasn't impressed with all the pop rivets or the runs in the paint job near the door, but it is solid and tight. The legs are very sturdy and easy to assemble.
I'm using an OTS with 2 bowl handles, which will make moving and dumping ash easier, and mounted a new WSM thermometer and bezel in the lid. Wired the charcoal grate to the ring.
My Weber rotisserie ring is out of round and I did a little tweaking to it and it fits snug with less gaps than on the kettle.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll do a test cook with it!

This is a neat add-on for weber kettles... I just got my weber off craigs list for $20... Adding one of these would definitely help me with putting together a budget friendly smoker.

Jester

BBQ season started early for us here in Sonoma County with some beautiful days and nights. With the BBQ fired up and an adult beverage in hand, nights are just warm enough to be outside making delicious food. I decided that this year I am going to hit it hard and heavy, so I knew that either a serious revamp on the rapidly rusting CG Smokin Pro w/SFB was required or a reassessment of my BBQ equipment.

While I enjoy the CG for its Side Fire Box which allows some nice low and slow cooks, it is a beast to maintain both during and after cooks. I have "modded" it as much as possible to try and even out the hotspots and even lined it with fire bricks to increase thermal mass and stabilize temps. After at least three seasons of mediocre BBQ despite my best efforts (I admit that I am still working on fire control), I decided that if we are going to be outside most of the season on the BBQ, I need something that I can have a few really good successes on that is easy to maintain both during and after cooks and is sturdy enough to last more than four seasons before it rusts out.

Knowing that vertical water smokers have a reputation for easily maintaining temps throughout long cooks, I knew that our old friend Weber would probably have the best bet. After all, I grew up with a grey Weber Bar-B-Kettle with the three dampers on the bottom, and have had a Weber of my own for most of my life. In fact recently I received a 22.5 One Touch Silver for free from a friend... He basically let gunk and the elements turn a beautiful piece of BBQ equipment into a huge mess, so had his fiance' by him a One Touch Platinum. Well guess what he did to that one! Anyway, I replaced the One Touch system, sprayed the whole thing with BBQ cleaner and scrubbed then rinsed and dried. Looks Brand New!

So of course the WSM is a beautiful piece of work. What I enjoy about the CG Smokin Pro w/SFB is that for around $200 it has a high versatility/functionality to price ratio; tons of grilling or smoking space, you can raise or lower the charcoal grate, etc. What I don't feel is that for $400 you get very much functionality with the WSM. It smokes really well and grills not so well. If I had to cough up that much, I might as well stay with the CG. Which led me to research alternatives...

I started researching the Cajun Bandit along with other devices such as the Smoke EZ and the ProQ Stacker and the multitude of others designed to add a longer and more Low and Slow functionality to your existing Weber. I liked the idea of being able to use some equipment that I already have which could be easily converted back to a very functional grill. What I liked about the Cajun Bandit is that it is a very sturdy product that basically turns your 22.5 One Touch into a WSM, but just take the center portion off and you are back to your One Touch Grill. Half the price of a similarly sized WSM - Nice!

So I ordered one. Chris over there was very communicative with Tracking info and I received it very quickly. UPS just left it on the doorstep - that was fine for me since I was at work but luckily nobody around the neighborhood got curious! Like previous posters on this thread have said, when I lifted the box I could tell that it was not just a thin piece of metal. After removing all of the packing material, I couldn't help but put the center section on my 22.5 just to see how it fit - seamlessly, and the lid clamped down on that thing like it was born to. Continuing on to installation made me even happier; while some people who have purchased this kit have the luxury of being able to seat it on a Performer or Platinum, I was using a One touch Silver. I'm sure you can picture it (don't worry, pictures to follow) - wobbly legs, cheap wheels, bent up ash pan... Well this kit took my Wobblepus and turned it into the Black Tank. The included legs are installed onto the One Touch Bowl and make a super sturdy base for the center section and lid. It renewed my faith in the One Touch Silver! Of course as a grill it is significantly lower now in height than before, but thats fine - I just pull up a comfy chair outside and grill!

One concern with my particular unit was that one of the legs did not have the hole required to hold the bolt for the OTS ash pan, so after considerable effort with the drill and bit included I made my own hole. I also noticed (as others have on this thread) the center section is basically painted 18 gauge steel, so the interior is bare metal. I don't know if anyone else on here may have mentioned it already, but I decided to rub the inside with a good coat of vegetable oil and season it for a couple of hours at about 200 degrees before my first cook. I don't know that this is necessary, but from what I have read on other forums, it can't hurt.

So here comes the juicy stuff; for the first cook, I decided to do a couple of CA chickens purchased at $0.99/lb at my local Warehouse Store. The day before BBQ I brined the chickens for two hours in a solution of 1.5 cups of Kosher Salt and 1 cup of Sugar dissolved in two quarts of water. After brining, I removed the chickens and rinsed off the remaining brine. I then placed the chickens on a rack and placed the rack over a pan and placed the pan in the fridge overnight to allow the chickens to dry and develop what's called a Pellicle, or tacky outer surface that more readily absorbs smoke.

On the day of BBQ, I jumped out of bed and made a pot of coffee. Before I even fired up the BBQ, I took the chickens out of the fridge and rubbed them down with my own recipe BBQ rub (includes Chipotle Powder!) then trussed them before skewering them with my Weber Rotisserie skewer and forks.

IMG_1010.jpg

I then went outside to start up the BBQ. I loaded the bottom of my Weber Charcoal Chimney with a couple of rolled up newspaper donuts, then filled it full with lump and set it aflame.

IMG_1022.jpg

As you can see, the charcoal ring sits firmly where the charcoal grate goes and acts as the perfect charcoal basket. After checking the thermometer that I plucked into one of the vent holes (with no loss of performance), I noticed that the lid temps were about 25-35 degrees off from the grate temps, measured with a Polder style Maverick Ready Chek wireless thermometer.

At about 11:30 I started a pot of BBQ Beans (aka Greasy Beans) that I made from scratch on the stove to bring it up to temp. My plan was to do an indirect cook of some Rotisserie Chickens and I figured a large pot of Beans would be a great "water pan" to help stabilize temps and would be a great place for some of the chicken drippings to land and get mixed in. Once the beans were at a gentle simmer, I placed them on the now hot BBQ to continue to cook.

IMG_1003.jpg

Lunch is where it started to really get interesting. I took a couple of Caspers hot dogs and wrapped them really well with some bacon. I then moved the beans down to the second rack, and placed the hotdogs on the top rack immediately above the beans so any bacon drippings would fall into the beans. After all, they are called Greasy Beans! I let them hang out in the BBQ for about an hour, maybe a little too long, but they were a delicious way to have lunch hot off the BBQ!

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

Next came the chickens. After having hung out in the fridge for a while with Rub, they were itchin to go on the cooker. I attached the Rotisserie ring (horribly out of round by the way) and opened the access door to toss in a chunk of partially burned Almond wood. Once it started smoking really well, I put the chickens on the Rotisserie, then closed her up.

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

With everything in the smoker, temps held pretty well at 325 - 350 for the hour and a half, two hours or so that the chickens cooked.

IMG_1001.jpg

At this time the beans were also done, and I could tell visually that they had picked up a lot of chicken drippings. I gently took the chickens off the rotisserie, then the top grate, and then finally the beans out of the cooker. Using a shallow cooking spoon, I scooped off the top layer of chicken fat, as well as any ash that might have blown around. After removing as much as I could, I mixed the rest of the lovely chicken flavor into the beans.

IMG_1015.jpg

Overall I loved the whole experience. The chicken was absolutely fabulous and had just the right combo of Rub and Smoke, and the Rotisserie went one step further towards keeping the chickens nice and moist. The smoky hotdogs for lunch were fantastic, and I don't think I have ever tasted better BBQ Beans before. I will be happy to post my recipe on those later!

Later that afternoon when I went go serve dinner, I took the center section and lid off off the cooker and had nothing but the low kettle base and a small load of hot coals still going. I threw a couple of almond logs on there while we were eating to catch, and by the time we were done, they had caught for us to enjoy our own little firepit and smores on the cool Sonoma County Evening! One of the best BBQ experiences that I have had in a long time...

I really love what I do! I hope you enjoy... More to come...

For the folks who use a rotisserie on the CB: Have you found a good cover for the whole assembly? I'm about to get a rotisserie, but my current cover (an old gray "non-deluxe" kettle cover) barely covers the seam where the center section and kettle meet.

Jake:

You might check with your building supply places and see if they have contractors trash bags. They are very large, heavier plastic, and might be long enough to cover the CB and rotisserie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back