cajun bandit vs. weber rotisserie vs. ?

I went with the Cajun Bandit roti because I wanted the ring to fit a little tighter than it appeared the Weber roti ring would fit. Love what I ordered, and Chris with C&C (Cajun Bandit) was GREAT!! Love my roti and have done 2 cooks now with it and the food was yummy!

Jeff you might want to look at this thread also.
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0039023/m/5241077226

I just bought the Cajun Bandit Ring with the rotisserie and cooked two chickens with it today.

I will say that I like the stainless steel ring and it looks as if most components of the rotisserie rod itself are made of stainless still. The rotisserie motor worked great with the two D batteries, I like not having to use an extension cord. The ring fit the grill perfectly and the lid fit the ring perfectly.

It did seem to use a great deal more charcoal that cooking the birds as beer can chicken, but after sealing the unused holes with aluminum tape the charcoal burn rate seemed to go down. I'm well satisfied with it other than the amount of shipping charged which was $35. RLM

thanks george, I actually searched and posted in that forum. I've also read every thread on the all the forums with the words "cajun bandit". However, I've yet to see a side by side review of the two units or if there are any other alternatives. For example, it looks like ez-q sold their business and the new company is using the weber motor with the ez-q baskets. I'd like to hear how that's working out for people.

richard and linda, why did you choose the cajun bandit over the weber? Did you look at the new incarnation of the ez-q? Are you cooking on a kettle, performer or wsm? Also, it's not clear that I need to buy the ring? I have no problem paying $57 for the rotisserie but $119 for a stainless steel ring seems like a lot?

thanks, I really appreciate everyone's help!

richard and linda, why did you choose the cajun bandit over the weber? Did you look at the new incarnation of the ez-q? Are you cooking on a kettle, performer or wsm? Also, it's not clear that I need to buy the ring? I have no problem paying $57 for the rotisserie but $119 for a stainless steel ring seems like a lot?

Jeff
I choose the Cajun Bandit for two reasons. First reason, from what I have read on these forums, the Weber ring does not seal against the kettle as well as the Cajun Bandit, thus more charcoal used. Second reason, the Cajun Bandit ring is made of stainless steel. After seeing the ring, I believe the ring to be made from high grade stainless steel and should last forever. I have a 1997 Broilmaster grill with a stainless steel base which looks almost as good as new.
I'm cooking on a One Touch Platinum. The fit of the ring to the kettle and the lid is excellent. As I stated, I did put aluminum tape over the two unused holes on the ring with the hope that this would conserve charcoal.
As to the cost of the stainless steel ring, I feel that it’s well within reason. The welding, finish and fabrication on mine is excellent. I had two stainless steel plates made for my kettles to enable me to do Beer Can Chicken, cost $110 per plate. Good stainless steel does not rust or corrode and is easy to clean. Unless you take something and beat on it or otherwise do something to damage the shape, it will outlast you.
The rotisserie kit comes with the parts which allow the rotisserie motor to be connected to the ring and thus used with the rotisserie much the same as with a gas grill. I was well pleased with the rotisserie kit also, stainless steel screws, will never rust.
Hope this helps. RLM

Jeff, I have the EZ Que. The reason why I chose this one was because I did not want to deal with the counterbalance on the fork rotisserie's. I bought it here in Michigan from Bourlier's BBQ and Fireplace. They are great people to deal with. The ring is stainless steel. The motor is a Weber motor 40lb test. I also bought a second motor off of ebay that is 50lb test. (Just to have an extra). The ring fits good on my kettle, no it is not an absolute seal, but I don't mind this issue. I use it on my performer and on my platinum with the two side tables. Do you need a rotisserie ring? Well yeah,..how would you hold up the spit rod for rotation? I have thought about purchasing the Cajun Bandit because of the great reviews here, maybe in the future as the one I have seems to serve me well so far.

I guess I'll be the dissenter here. I have the Weber Rotis and love it. For a $130, it's a bargain. I have no trouble keeping temps low, I don't believe it used any more charcoal then any other unit... at least not that would make any difference to anyone... and most importantly... it works.

I have the cajun bandit ring and ezque rotisserie cradles for my weber and my gas grill. The company mentioned in the post above has most of the old inventory of the ez que cradles. Based on an e-bay purchase and some communication back and forth with the business by email it appears they are having someone machine the various length rods they need for different grill configurations in order to use the cradles they have.

They are working on a rotisserie ring and rotisserie cradle for the weber 26.75 and are hoping to have it done by the end of the year. They are also looking for a way to begin producing the 8" wide cradles again.

I have no association with the owners or the business, but I am happy with the product. If you own a 26.75 weber you could email them at rotisserieking@att.net and ask for an update on the rotisserie ring.

Hopefully it is not breaking a forum rule to provide their email, but I have read multiple posts on this forum asking about the larger rotisserie ring and thought some folks here might be interested.

Wow Terry that is great news! There are a lot of members who will benefit from that. They are a family business. I have no association with them either, just a good company to work with.

In my opinion there is no comparison. The roto ring made by C&C sits flush on the Weber grill whereas the Weber roto ring uses those cheep tabs to make contact. My only disappointment is that C&C has not yet manufactured a ring that fits the Cajun Bandit Conversion piece. I do understand they are working on it and as soon as it is available I will be ordering it.

Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
In my opinion there is no comparison. The roto ring made by C&C sits flush on the Weber grill whereas the Weber roto ring uses those cheep tabs to make contact. My only disappointment is that C&C has not yet manufactured a ring that fits the Cajun Bandit Conversion piece. I do understand they are working on it and as soon as it is available I will be ordering it.

hah, really!?

i have both, but i had no idea they were incompatible.

I guess i've never tried. I feel kinda retarded now.

Odd that they make a ring that's compatible with kettles AND WSMs, but not their own conversion kit.

Originally posted by jeff davidson:

thanks, I really appreciate everyone's help!

Sorry I'm late to the party (darn work, kept me from the more important stuff!!). I researched both the Weber product and Cajun, and I wanted something that fit securely in one of my kettles. It appeared to me that the Weber ring fit inside (??) with some machined pegs/tabs to keep it on the bottom part of the kettle, where the Cajun system actually fit into the bottom of the kettle like the kettle lid does. So, I went with the Cajun Bandit system (and the higher poundage rated rotisserie motor (40lb) which is not battery operated, just my preference). I have the whole kit and caboodle as a dedicated rotisserie mount on my 22.5 B-B-Q kettle (not one touch). I've done 2 cooks on it and l-o-v-e it. Probably will do another one this weekend. So happy I ditched the gasser for this set-up.

ETA: You need the ring to keep the roti the right height above the coals, so the ring is pretty much essential to the set-up.

Great choice in my opinion Linda. It must be nice to have a dedicated roto cooker. As stated earlier, I am anxiously awaiting C&C to manufacture their ring to fit the Cajun Bandit.

I have the CB rotis ring because it fits both the wsm and kettle. I bought the ring and door in the damaged section on there website and saved about $30, can't tell if there are any defects, dings, or even scratches on the door or ring. I used my Weber Rotisserie motor from my old gasser, I had to flip the motor upsidedown and trim a little off the CB motor holder to make it work.
I've cooked two 12lb boneless prime rib and alot of whole chickens on the WSM, a few chickens a turkey breast and few cinnamon coated pinapples on the kettle all with no issues.

>>I have the whole kit and caboodle as a dedicated rotisserie mount

linda, I found a nice perfomer for $100 so I've been figuring out what to do with my kettle. Tell me more about the dedicated mount? do you keep the ring and the motor on the kettle or just the ring? Do you cover the kettle?

tia,

So besides the fact the Weber doesn't sit flush with the kettle and the ring isn't made of stainless, what are the other beefs people have with the Weber version? I read a cheap mod about a high heat gasket seal to fix that issue so am curious what are the other considerations?

Back