Cajun Bandit Stacker for my Performer or just buy a WSM

Kevin John

TVWBB Member
Use my Performer for indirect cooking almost exclusively, I use my Weber E320 for direct grilling, I also had an electric smoker that I started out smoking on and used occasionally for longer cooks. Started using the Performer more and more for smoking because I liked the results even though it is more labor intensive and just gave the electric smoker to a friend.

I get great results smoking on the Performer but I want to get a more user friendly setup so I don't have to baby sit the cook as much especially on longer cooks like a Brisket or large Boston Butt. So I'm thinking of either buying a WSM 18.5 or ordering the CB stacking kit with heat diffuser and charcoal ring.

For those that have used the Stacker on a Kettle is it as user friendly as a WSM and what are the advantages of one over the other? I know I'll save a couple of bucks going with the CB Stacker but that isn't an issue.

Thanks in advance.

I was going to get a CB stacker for my performer when a great deal on a WSM fell into my lap.

Everyone i see who has the CB stacker loves it. There's a few guys at the Kettle club site who swear by them.

The Pro of the stacker is a 22" inch grate so you have room for multiple full racks flat. Total cooking area 363 square inches: all one level
The Con is the one touch vents are your only air flow temp control. Some people prefer this, my experience shows the three vents on the WSM offer more temp control.
Temp controllers like the pitmaster or party Q attach easier to WSM as well if that interests you.

The 18 WSM has total cooking area of 481 square inches but almost half is on the lower grate which is slightly less accessible.

The smaller grates mean full racks of spare ribs will need to be cut, racked, or rolled to fit grate.

Bottom line: they are both great, but if some of the items above are more important to you, you may lean one way or the other.

I have a 22" WSM as well as a performer and CB Stacker. I was hesitant to get the larger size WSM but I'm glad I did. I always cook extra and use a food saver and freeze what's left...if there is any. Lots of folks are very adept at smoking on a kettle and the stacker is a great addition. I had the WSM before the performer and so smoking on the WSM just seems easier for me. I mostly use the stacker on the WSM if I need more cooking room. If I cook for more than a few people it usually means low and slow on the WSM then using the performer at grilling temps for appetizers or just dogs and burgers just before the meat on the WSM is done. If you're planning long cooks like pulled pork, brisket, or even just for a bunch of ribs I would vote for the WSM.

Thank you for the reply Charlie.

Most of the time I'm just cooking for the wife and I, that's why I'm thinking about the CB Stacker or the 18.5 WSM, once in awhile we'll have family and friends over. When I cook Ribs on the Performer I stack coals on opposite sides of the grill and lay foil down the middle of the charcoal grate. I use Rib Racks and I don't cut the ribs, I know some people don't like them but I've always got a good even cook with no burnt ends. I have a rack that will hold up to 5 racks but I never cook more than 3 because I want space between the ribs.

I think the CB Stacker would be a pretty cool addition but I'm keeping the Performer regardless so buying the WSM gives me another toy to play with, my only concern is the Performer isn't going to get much use. I guess I'll fire it up once in awhile to cook some chicken instead of using the Gasser and if we have a larger gathering and I'm going to smoke more than the 18.5 can handle I have the Performer to cook on as well.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply as well Terry, I've contemplated the 22.5 WSM but most of my cooks are for just my wife and I, I really think I would use the 18.5 more often. I did a 8.7lb Butt 2 weeks ago on the Performer and there is some left in the freezer. I think with the WSM I'll start cooking more like you and Vac Bag it.

I have the 22 stacker and I love it! I do prefer to use it on my older style daisy wheel kettles though. Having said that I recently used it on one of my Master Touch kettles for two pork butts and it maintained 275 degrees and they were done in 7 hours.

I'm really happy with the CB setup. They're a good company to do business with and they make good products. I have their rotisserie set up, their WSM mods and also their stacker. I use my Performer a lot to do smokes on the weekend.

The only mod I made to this is to put some probe ports in it. This photo does not reflect the port mod.

CraigW

Back