Cajun Bandit Door?

On my first smoke last weekend, I noticed a lot of smoke coming around the door. I have tried bending the aluminum door on the 18.5" WSM but it still doesn't seem to seal very well. I know it isn't meant to be airtight but I think it leaks a lot. Do you think the Cajun Bandit door would help? Thanks in advance.

Stewart.

I do. I had the CB door on my 22.5 and it was tight. I did still have to bed it a little though. I wish I had one for my 18 now since it leaks a lot too.

I have to wonder if some of these leaky door issues aren't about the door, but the air. I just got mine last week and it was nice and tight. I ran my probe wires through the upper corner of the door and still only have a little bit of smoke leaking under certain conditions.

If you have the vents all set where air can get in and get out through the top, you shouldn't have a leak problem that's a concern. With the 18 only having the 1, 3 hole vent on top, I can't see any reason to ever have it closed at all. With all 3 wide opened on bottom, with plenty of fuel, I can see more air coming in than can go out the top which means it'll find the least resistant path to get out, ie. leak.

I don't think a seal would be a bad idea though, but I'd question that automotive tape providing much in the way of a seal, but maybe it would.

It helped on my 22.5. I had two factory doors that were bent pretty bad at the top. The Cajun Bandit door did the trick. It seals great on my WSM, and it looks great too.

Back