CAB Brisket, best ever!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Lowery

TVWBB Member
I picked up a certified angus brisket last week. It was a 9 pound flat, plenty of fat left on it. Cooked midnight method/basic rub. It was by far the best brisket yet. I have read with much interest the past discussion on cab, but have just now tried it. I know with any meat there is a level of risk involved, but for $1.99 pound, I'll be buying plenty more. I really liked cooking the flat only, didn't seem to be near as much waste as with a whole brisket. I just wanted to get some others opions on cab.

Ed

/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gifFlats are the way to go. If you can't find them buy the whole brisket and seperate the flat from the point. I buy the whole brisket(packer cut) at wal-mart for $1.28 lb) Trim the point and grind it up for burgers.Happy smokin Bryan

But the point has the best flavor! I've done a few flats, but I still like to do the whole packer, scrape off the fat cap and remove the point when it comes out of the smoker, wrap the flat and stash it for a while, and toss the point back on the smoker to continue rendering. True, you won't get pretty slices out of the point, but it'll make VERY tasty chopped beef sandwiches. I heartily agree with you on the CAB. I'll choose it ANYTIME over the typical Walmart select grade. That being said, one of the hunks o'beef on the smoker at the moment IS a 12-lb packer that I got at Walmart some time back and froze - the price tag? $8.63. Sometimes that kind of price will win out over CAB persnikitiness, particularly when I think about those $50 briskets that I see regularly right now in the stores. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time (and watching the dawn break over a smoker full o' brisket and chuck)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back