Buying whole tenderloins in cryovac

Jerry P.

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been thinking about buying a whole tenderloin to cut and vacuum seal the steaks/roasts myself. Less money spent and I get to cut it up however I like.

My question is this. Since tenderloin is a pretty lean cut of meat, how important is the grading? Is choice really that much better than select or ungraded?

Just my 2 cents, but I would never buy less than choice grade of any cut. Marveling is fat and fat is flavor. If your buying the whole tenderloin and want to maximize the purchase then having a grinder for the chain would help or else you need a lot of patience with your butchering. Either way, I just don't think select is fit for anything but my dogs.

When comparing the cost to tenderloin steaks, factor in that you lose about 25% from a untrimmed tenderloin in processing.

Marbling is only one factor is grade determination. Though tenderloin is not something one considers marbled in most cases, grade can still reflect other factors that make a higher grade worth the money.

If you're buying from a supermarket chain it's not likely the meat is actually no-roll, i.e., ungraded. Most don't buy no-roll beef. Packaging does not always reflect the grade though. It should be on the packing case and this you can ask about.

I only rarely buy tenderloin but when I do it's the whole thing. Cutting the steaks into thicknesses I prefer is important to me, and the trimmings are made into appertizer-y stuff so the loss is not much.

I've bought a few and will do it again. The butchering is not bad, and like Kevin said you can control your own steaks. The Good Eats filet episode is a good resource, and there may be a video on here in the cooking topics section. The chain and the smaller ends went into a freezer bag to be tenderloin tips.

I agree that cutting them up is fairly straight forward. Recently, I've seen whole tenderloins advertised for anywhere between $5.99 and $15.99 a pound. That's what led me to ask if more $$ necessarily equates to a better product.

I've done this a number of times. The problem is the size and storage. What are you going to do with all that meat? However,I like the whole piece. I trim all the connective tissue and all the fat from the side surfaces. This leaves a much cleaner tenderloin steak sized exactly as you want than buying them individually at a very high price. I cut them into steaks with the exact thickeness and size that we want. The small short end on the one side of the chateaubriand is not a waste. you can grill it in one piece on its side and cut following. Small pieces from that also make a great Bouef Stroganoff, which should always be done with filet. It'easy to make, with Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry from the supermarket.
I think it's a waste to buy prime filet. Costco has it from time to time. Buying USDA select rather than choice is OK when the price is right. Filet doesn't have fat. Yes, the higher grades have a bit of better taste, but the low grades are just fine. I don't think you gain as much from select to prime that you do with strip steaks.
At Costco they have whole tenderloin at decent prices. Rarely they have half tenderloins, a bit easier to deal with, especially if you can get the thick end.
Look also at a local restaurant supply house. They sell them routinely. They're cryovac'd and have a date. Since they sell to restaurants, the price and freshness is right.
You're motivating me to head there tomorrow. It's getting just about warm enough to comfortably grill here and the rain has stopped.

I'm not a big tenderloin fan, but always buy them whole and break them down myself. My MIL law often buys them and I'm always astonished how poorly the butcher trims them. The sliverskin usually has 1/4" of meat left on it. I can usually get it off with no loss.

How many of you have tried prime? Like the majority here, I'd have guessed it wouldn't be much better. However I did have prime once and I was shocked at how much better it was. Triple the price is tough to swallow.

Back