Buying the WSM Today!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

After lurking about for a little while and really trying to decide between the WSM and an electric model (Old Smokey, Brinkman, Char-Broil)...I have decided to buy the WSM at Amazon.com - 158.87 free s/h!

Earlier this year, I bought a Weber Genesis Gold C Grill, which I love...so the Weber name I am happy to purchase.

I found this web-site and forum a great resource the other smokers did not have available.

If anyone has some good pointers for a newbie other than researching this site, please let me know.

The biggest concern I guess I still have is...charcoal costs versus electric costs.

Thanks.

Philip,
I don't know much about the electric units, but I've found that charcoal is not that expensive. Usually I can get 2 24lb. bags at costco for $10 and I can get 3 or 4 sessions out of a bag. Good luck with your new smoker and I'm sure before you know it you'll be turning out some of the best barbeque you've ever had.
Don

As Don said you should be able do a cook for aprox $2.50 in charcoal. A long cook on an electric unit is not going to be cheaper, it just mixed in with the rest of your electric bill, harder to break out the real cost. If you have ever run a 110 amp drier you know what I'm talking about.
Jim

Philip,

A bag of Kingsford will go a long way if you practice conservative (cheapskate) usage. On relatively short cooks (ribs, chicken, etc.) I have found that I can get by with very little charcoal. One layer will do it, with 20 or so lit ones on top. And I rarely dump out the remains. I just leave it till next time, then shake the ashes out, pick out the spent wood chunks, and add more fresh charcoal. I have never had any problems, heat or flavor wise, using these methods. I use much less charcoal now than I did when my WSM was new, when I filled it with charcoal and cleaned it out every time I used it.

Steve

Allright Phillip!

Welcome to the club. When you get the WSM and take it out of the box, you will notice the quality of construction and materials.

Then go to the local Walmart and check out the Brinkmann and other bulet smoker models. No comparison!

I haven't learned to be conservative on the amount of charcoal like Steve above...I will post a new topic regarding amounts and temps...

Regards,
PrestonD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back