Buying just the point....

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
Well after this weekends smoke. I think I would prefer to just smoke the point and make burnt ends. There's really just too much meat on a packer for me and my son to eat. Anyone ever buy just the point?

I've wondered the same thing, but have yet to see any in the restaurants around here. You would think they have to be out there somewhere, since they sale just the flat. It's not like they are throwing the point away. I've heard that since the burnt ends are so popular, some restaurants will cube the flat and continue to cook as burnt ends. It might be something worth trying.

Briskets are not nearly as popular up here but from talking to local butchers, the flat seems to be the most in demand. One butcher I spoke with says he grinds more points than he sells as full packers so there must be points available from local butchers in your area. Never seen anyone on here doing just a point. Flats and full packers. May be just have ask.
Bill if you buy a Food Saver Vacuum Sealer you can preserve a flat so it's just about as good as the day it came off the grill.

I've wondered the same thing, but have yet to see any in the restaurants around here. You would think they have to be out there somewhere, since they sale just the flat. It's not like they are throwing the point away. I've heard that since the burnt ends are so popular, some restaurants will cube the flat and continue to cook as burnt ends. It might be something worth trying.

Maybe ask a butcher if they have them? When I was in NY there was a huge butcher shop I could go to and find anything. Around here in NC I have yet to find one ( Beef ) that sells all the parts you may want or is a nice place to go..

The flats and whole packers are easy to find, but I've never seen just the point for sale by itself because those are typically ground up for hamburger. The flat can be successfully smoked and are very, very good. Here's one I did recently.

013-3.jpg

022.jpg

I asked a local butcher if I could buy just the point and he looked at me like I was crazy :(

So...since then I have been doing 10-12lb packers and have gotten my technique down pretty good.

The flats and whole packers are easy to find, but I've never seen just the point for sale by itself because those are typically ground up for hamburger. The flat can be successfully smoked and are very, very good. Here's one I did recently.

013-3.jpg

022.jpg

That looks darn good

Back