Buying butt tonight-smokin-Saturday

Russell Harris

Going to Sam's getting 2 6lb butts, at $1.39 per. I'll get the rub one tonite, and get up Sat and start smokin. If I'm smoking 2 butts, should I put one on top and the other on the bottom? I'm using a 14 in clay saucer on top of water pan, Rancher, and some hickory wood. Any suggestions? Should I put those suckers on tonite, or just get an early start? Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks guys. Russell

Russell,
It all depends on your cooking methodology and what time you want to serve dinner. If you are going very low and slow, it'll take at least 12 hours for the 2 butts. If you cook them at a little higher temp, it won't take as long, but still, I can see it taking 10 hours. Also, I personally think you should give yourself at least 1 hour for the butts to rest foiled in a preheated cooler to allow the juices to redistribute.

I did 2 butts a few weeks ago on the top rack with a temp between 225-250 and they took 15 hours. We wanted to eat an early afternoon and I wanted to make sure they had at least an hour to rest. I started mine at 9pm and pulled them around 11:30 the next morning.

Good luck with the butts!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russell Harris:
Going to Sam's getting 2 6lb butts, at $1.39 per. I'll get the rub one tonite, and get up Sat and start smokin. If I'm smoking 2 butts, should I put one on top and the other on the bottom? I'm using a 14 in clay saucer on top of water pan, Rancher, and some hickory wood. Any suggestions? Should I put those suckers on tonite, or just get an early start? Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks guys. Russell </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I put on a 7.5 lb Butt @225 last Fri night/Sat morn at 1:00 AM and pulled it a 5:30 PM Sat evening. Unless you want to eat around midnight, I'd get that sucker on now. As said you want to wrap it up good in foil, and place it in a Towel lined cooler for at least an hr I do a 2-4 hr rest period. No need to rub the night before, it just pulls out moisture from the meat. Yeah Butts have plenty O fat but why pull it out, that rub ain't going anywhere into the meat why bother trying.
icon_wink.gif

Thaks guys, I'm up and getting ready to go. If we eat tonite its ok, if not thats ok. I'm out the door for the morning paper, coffees done and the charcoal is getting right.

Tell us, how'd you make out?

I know that I have finally learned not to count on the finish time unless I get it in early enough...
This last cook was last weekend, and thankfully I had other food to go on the next day as well. The pork loin finished and was dinner, the pulled-pork was midnight snack!

Both butts turned out great. The biggest issue was with the hot afternoon sun making it too hot to sit outside and enjoy the action. Theycame off at 5:30, let them stand for about an hour, and pulled everything off, very little fat. Neighbors brought sides, we sent home a pile with them. The other butt goes to feed relatives this weekend. Had nothing but ashes left from the Rancher Charcoal, all in all it was about the easiest smoke I've done, next time I'll do it overnight.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back